Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Default Re: Well done Alister Trotman

Quote Originally Posted by Old Crusty View Post
    There is no difference, one was the next in the queue for the job, the other was parachuted in or get turned over. Both were appointed by the regional director to maintain the status quo because its easier than implementing constructive change that benefits all river users. And both have cloth ears.
    Oh Come come, Crusty i mean Andrew, take a bow, that is after you on the right isnt it?

You won't convince me that we need to pay more for the privilege of operating a lock, when so many unlicensed liveabords use them unhindered. If everyone who benefits from the asset had to pay, then that includes pubs, restaurants with a river view and anyone with the river at the end of their garden. As usual, it's squeeze the legitimate boater and turn a blind eye to the rest.
    This whole 'charging the public to use our own country' stinks of the Torys. If they could get away with it, they'd charge people to walk their dogs in the park and a fiver to feed the ducks.
    Last edited by Actionmat; 10-05-18 at 15:20.

Quote Originally Posted by wrecktangle View Post
    Oh Come come, Crusty i mean Andrew, take a bow, that is after you on the right isnt it?
    Indeed it is Andrew, now retired and twitching in North Dorset, not giving a tinkers for the river, the lock staff or the boaters just like when he was waterways manager. Methinks you mistake me for him and you would be quite wrong bordering on the offensive!
    When I was in the Navy ...

Quote Originally Posted by Actionmat View Post
    Surely you're not suggesting that the solution to the Trotman problem is for Kingston or Richmond to give him a residential mooring for his Slumboats?
    As has been mentioned many times, he's not homeless(he doesn't even live on his boats), he's a business, a fire risk and a polluter.
    What's needed is affordable hostel accommodation for his residents and the removal of his death traps.

He could have been scrapped, but the EA towed him back onto the non tidal and I still don't understand why? Now he doesn't need the EA anymore as he has his own tug and he's laughing at all of us.
    That's a local council responsibility, not the EA. If the council house those living on the so called slum boats, local council taxes will rise to pay for it. if the council environmental health teams had any gumption, Trotman's boats would be closed down immediately as a health hazard then the EA could tow them away and scrap.

Despite the amount of energy and spleen venting on here discussing him, Trotman and his business boats are a minor matter. The big deal must be that the EA collects every penny due from boats on the river and the only way to do that is to check that every boat has a current registration licence.

Despite the amount of energy and spleen venting on here discussing him, Trotman and his business boats are a minor matter. .
    To you maybe, but not it seems the rest of the forum.

The big deal must be that the EA collects every penny due from boats on the river and the only way to do that is to check that every boat has a current registration licence.
    Not much bloody point if they dont collect the money, still not taken my direct debit after 5months. Every time i call i am told there is a 10day charter to respond. Fine, its your money guys I have my license!

Quote Originally Posted by wrecktangle View Post
    But aren't you supposed to represent our views? Maybe that's why few join your Assoc.
    For the record, I work hard to represent the views of my TMBA members (yes, all of them, even though we don't all agree about everything)

I doubt that you are one of them. However, as we say clearly on our website:
    "We aim to provide a dialogue between ourselves, as users, and the Environment Agency who manage the non tidal Thames river from Lechlade to Teddington. Our interest is primarily in matters which affect the use of the river by power driven vessels – e.g. navigation, moorings, lock services etc. although we hope we take a responsible and considerate view of the needs of all those who use and enjoy the river."

I actually think I do this very well - probably better than many that claim to represent you.

This forum, regrettably, is not representative of the views of many boaters or river users and the few who post regularly seem to do so because they want a scrap rather than make a responsible contribution to the future of the river.

Oh, and for those that don't realise it, government continues to fund some 50% or so of the money needed to run the river, even in its currently reduced circumstances - and that, believe it or not, comes from general taxation i.e. the general public so please don't tell me they don't contribute.

Do you really want the EA spending some of its much needed and limited funds on the slum boat issue when local authorities and landowners need to take ownership of the problem ? I certainly don't.

Quote Originally Posted by boatone View Post
    Do you really want the EA spending some of its much needed and limited funds on the slum boat issue when local authorities and landowners need to take ownership of the problem ? I certainly don't.
    If that is what your members want, thats what you need to challenge!

Your tone indicates you wont cos its doesnt suit you?

Quote Originally Posted by Parabordi View Post
    If that is what your members want, thats what you need to challenge!

Your tone indicates you wont cos its doesnt suit you?
    I vigorously challenge the EA re slum boat issues involving registration and mooring on EA land as I do on unregistered craft wherever they may be on the river. . It is up to local authorities and landowners to pursue matters re mooring on their land but they would rather lay the blame at the EA's door.

I note that you do not comment on the facts re river funding?

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast