Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whisker poles

Default Whisker poles

My genoa is 7.5oz dacron, and struggles to stay filled when sailing in less than 12knts, this is compounded each time the boat roles.

When the wind is aft of the beam, I think i'd be better off poling out the genoa. I have a carbon fibre pole, but I seem to be missing an end piece. It's at the larger end (which I presume is the mast end).

It's a 48mm section pole at that end, can anyone advise on what end I need and how best to attach it to a carbon fibre pole?

IMG_1337.jpg

Default Re: Whisker poles

If you google 'whisker pole ends from Selden' you should get a few options for fitting to poles, including other manufacturers. I just googled and a few popped up.

http://www.seldenmast.com/en/product..._fittings.html
    http://www.getrigged.co.uk/spinnaker...parts-16-c.asp
    http://www.seldenmast.com/en/product...cessories.html

The last link is specifically for carbon poles.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Cheers, neither of those came up when searching from Spain. Though selden were particularly unhelpful, and getrigged don't have anything in the right size.

If using the pole with a pole up / pole down guy, you could just fashion a claw from ply and fit it into the end of the pole. The pole will be in compression anyway and so pushing the claw out against the sheet / clew. Something like and elongated rowlock, maybe with a narrower opening that allows the sheet to slip in but not pop out so easy. Not sure what glue would be best for carbon fibre / ply.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

I use these kind of spin pole fittings Ronstan RF601. https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_i...AbsolutePage=1
    It does seem like OP has a bit of CF wind surfer mast as a whisker pole. A good idea as I do for a spin pole but that explains the taper. This type of fitting can be bolted onto almost any sized pole by sqeezing spreading or fitting inside the pole. Most other types of fittings require a pretty close internal fit. Further these fittings can be snapped on without opening the beak. I imagine they can be found in UK described as dinghy spin pole fittings. Might however be too smallfor more than 10mm sheets.
    I did find that the CF is rather thin and liable to failure where the bolts go through and I have had to build up the area with epoxy and glass where it failed. good luck olewill

Old thread warning .....

MIke/OP - Did you find a pole end fitting to match your pole ... which does look like a windsurfer mast?
    I was hoping to do something similar and wondered if you had already solved the end fitting issue

Closest I could find to fit the inboard / wide end is this, but seems to be US sourced only - and a bit too pricey just to buy on spec if it didn't fit

PS My thinking for the outboard end for a jib stick would be simply two s/s rings hed on by dyneema lashing - the top one to clip a pole uphaul onto, and the bottom one to have a rope with snap-shackle (or Antal Hook if Santa generous) to hook onto jib sheet, with rope acting both as outhaul and downhaul. This would allow the jib sheet to run free quickly if need to furl or let jib across to manoeuvre

RWO supply a 38mm and a 40mm piston ends, we use them on Carbon tubes and use a nylon collar to make up the difference in tube sizes.
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sp...NtfLpLuQ4AvmM:
    Email bryer2004@hotmail.com
    cbrigging.co.uk Craig Bond 07894507812

Well the end of my carbon fibre tube actually snapped. It wasn't able to take the compression loads of a poled out 7.5oz genoa in 12-15knts.

I'm going to cut off the broken end and try again with a section with slightly more area and see how that goes. I will buy Selden fittings, since there is a dealer here in town.

Stuff some sponge down the pole about 75mm really tight. Place the nearest size spinnaker end fitting you can find into the end & wedge with some pieces of plastic to get it central
    Stand the pole up against the house by a window ( assuming you do not live in a bungalow) Fill the end around & inside the fitting with resin ( make sure you do not stop the return spring from working the piston) & allow to cure. When done place 2 No. 4mm bolts through the whole thing.File off any rough spots taking care not to raise any carbon strands & then coat the outside end with varnish to seal the end of the pole . You should be able to bolt a couple of hoops through the resin with the 4mm bolts for the uphaul & downhaul & release line etc The bolts will also help secure the end fitting. The resin will resist compression & take up any slop in the fitting
    Finally you have to check that the fitting is not so small that you do not get a "shoulder" on the boom which will catch on the mast when held by the ring when at right angles to the boat as it will want to break the end due to high leverage at that point
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 05-12-17 at 09:16.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikedefieslife View Post
    Well the end of my carbon fibre tube actually snapped. It wasn't able to take the compression loads of a poled out 7.5oz genoa in 12-15knts.

I'm going to cut off the broken end and try again with a section with slightly more area and see how that goes. I will buy Selden fittings, since there is a dealer here in town.
    Interesting. Did the pole split at a screw hole or simply break without any existing point of weakness?
    What size of boat? And what length of pole?

I would have thought a windsurf mast should be quite strong

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast