Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whisker poles

Default Re: Whisker poles

Re. length of pole, I once made a timber whisker pole of length 1.1J, as advised by a website, and it proved perfect.

Force4 do a cheap one. The one that they advertise is 22mm but they also do a larger one which they have to order in.
    I used the larger ones to make my wisker pole (from a wind surfer mast). I cut some 4 or 5 inch lengths and reduced their diameter to use as shims to mate the piston ends to the pole.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

I found ,with a 3000 long FG windsurf wave mast section ,that the £13 selden mast composite piston fitting ( as Force 4) is not man enough to deal with the occasional but extremely high leverage forces that you get when manipulating the sail and pole as the wind shifts etc. Shying away from the extremely expensive metal ends,before proving the arrangement, I tried two of these composite jobs and each snapped in the same place when jammed on the mast hoop.So I currently have a strong cord with a large snap hook and this allows the pole to 'float' around the hoop without jamming.
    I used a 100mm softwood insert jammed and coated with resin to mount the original test fittings and that has given a good point for fixing.
    Because of these occasional high forces and the fragility of carbon fibre I suggest that you must either use a proprietary end that is solidly resined into place or that you introduce a shouldered insert extension in another material that carries a fitting and so keeps the carbon away from the mast.You might look at a mast extension as a basis for this.I have one that is 45 o/d.
    The actual pole works a treat,using the spin. pole hoist attached to the outer end.

Quote Originally Posted by bluerm166 View Post
    each snapped in the same place when jammed on the mast hoop.
    The mast hoop might be the issue. I use SS eyes each side of the mast and had no problems.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Yes agreed,and obviously the small composite selden fitting has too small a 'jaw' and is not meant for that kind of duty.
    But the benefits of the pole,especially the useful ability to furl the jib easily with it in place mean it's worth upgrading the inboard end.

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    Interesting. Did the pole split at a screw hole or simply break without any existing point of weakness?
    What size of boat? And what length of pole?

I would have thought a windsurf mast should be quite strong
    There were no obvious signs of weekness when I was running it.

My genoa is a medium to heavy material at 7.5oz and is 36m2. The pole would bend a good 20 degrees under compression. I just think the thin end that attached to the genoa was too small. It tapers massively from the rear to the front. The fitting was torn out and the tail end of the fitting is what probably caused the damage in the photo.

As I said I'll just try again with a shorter piece. It is 4.6m long, so I'll cut 20cm off the end.

IMG_2019.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mikedefieslife View Post
    There were no obvious signs of weekness when I was running it.

My genoa is a medium to heavy material at 7.5oz and is 36m2. The pole would bend a good 20 degrees under compression. I just think the thin end that attached to the genoa was too small. It tapers massively from the rear to the front. The fitting was torn out and the tail end of the fitting is what probably caused the damage in the photo.

As I said I'll just try again with a shorter piece. It is 4.6m long, so I'll cut 20cm off the end.
    Interesting, thanks. Initially I was not thinking of going anywhere near 4.6m, but probably just start with the lower mast section only at 2.6m. This is in fact only about 0.65 of J, but from some geometry and mock ups (using a boat hook) I think this should be plenty to stabilise a narrow blade jib (not intended for trade wind sailing!)

Yeah 4.6m is excessive, but the foot of my genoa is huge due to the aft set mast.

At 2.6m you shouldn't have any problems. Mine is actually two pieces that slot together. I imagine that the base piece is close to 2.6m on its own, and it is very solid.

Carbon is not the correct material if using a windsurf mast. Carbon masts are very strong in compression & bending. But only when these forces are applied in the correct manner. Where the boom goes they often need a sleeve & at the foot the coupling is a proper fit & applies the force in the designed manner.
    If one drops a carbon mast ( As I did once) it can easily shatter. If one were to compress the round end across its circumference so it forms an oval it will quickly distort & then form longitudinal cracks. If the end fitting were to jam on the spinnaker ring, possibly because it was not the correct size, it will apply high leverage to the end & the carbon will split a short length from the tube.

A GRP mast is far stronger in these applications. (Better still a GRP wave mast)Carbon is used in windsurfers for weight & recovery when bending. Same in my dinghy mast. In a gust it bends quickly releasing wind from the sail but recovers fast.That does not mean that it will make a good spinnaker boom if not specifically made for the job
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12