Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    609

    Default Re: Ulva Ferry: Pontoons and excellent food

    Went to the opening ceremony. Must head round for another visit. I like the sound of the restaurant.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Boat - Clyde, Home - Overlooking the Tamar
    Posts
    4,064

    Default Re: Ulva Ferry: Pontoons and excellent food

    I've been here a couple of days and have noticed that the tidal guidance in the CCC pilot seems a little adrift. There is mention in the pilot of the flood running hard whereas my observations here over the past two days (at springs) is that the flood is benign but the ebb fierce. The ebb starts to run before HW Oban, best to arrive here at HW Oban -2 I reckon when still water will be found at the pontoons.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Boat (now back in) the Clyde
    Posts
    5,421

    Default Re: Ulva Ferry: Pontoons and excellent food

    Quote Originally Posted by Robih View Post
    I've been here a couple of days and have noticed that the tidal guidance in the CCC pilot seems a little adrift. There is mention in the pilot of the flood running hard whereas my observations here over the past two days (at springs) is that the flood is benign but the ebb fierce. The ebb starts to run before HW Oban, best to arrive here at HW Oban -2 I reckon when still water will be found at the pontoons.
    Yes we found tide was up to 2 knots in both direction on the outer pontoon berths. Easy if tide taking you away from front of berth, tricky when trying to ram you in. We ferry glided in running firmly in reverse, essing throttle onto the berth, but needing to keep engine in reverse whilst ropes sorted and finalised.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SW Scotland
    Posts
    19,374

    Default Re: Ulva Ferry: Pontoons and excellent food

    Quote Originally Posted by Robih View Post
    I've been here a couple of days and have noticed that the tidal guidance in the CCC pilot seems a little adrift. There is mention in the pilot of the flood running hard whereas my observations here over the past two days (at springs) is that the flood is benign but the ebb fierce. The ebb starts to run before HW Oban, best to arrive here at HW Oban -2 I reckon when still water will be found at the pontoons.
    How's the long-term resident situation this year? Are there a reasonable number of berths available for visitors? I hope to be round the back of Mull in a week or so, if the weather permits.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Boat - Clyde, Home - Overlooking the Tamar
    Posts
    4,064

    Default Re: Ulva Ferry: Pontoons and excellent food

    There’s one resident boat on the innermost finger. All other fingers are available. The hammerhead is reserved for the trip boats - but you probably know that. Been on the community bus to Salen today for ship’s stores!

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SW Scotland
    Posts
    19,374

    Default Re: Ulva Ferry: Pontoons and excellent food

    Quote Originally Posted by Robih View Post
    There’s one resident boat on the innermost finger. All other fingers are available. The hammerhead is reserved for the trip boats - but you probably know that. Been on the community bus to Salen today for ship’s stores!
    Thanks. I'm guessing that the resident is Mark's steel one? He sold me a spare rigging screw from it last year when my backstay one failed, so both he and his boat are on my approved list.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Boat - Clyde, Home - Overlooking the Tamar
    Posts
    4,064

    Default Re: Ulva Ferry: Pontoons and excellent food

    Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Thanks. I'm guessing that the resident is Mark's steel one? He sold me a spare rigging screw from it last year when my backstay one failed, so both he and his boat are on my approved list.
    Yes correct. Sails in production at home apparently!

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SW Scotland
    Posts
    19,374

    Default Re: Ulva Ferry: Pontoons and excellent food

    Where is everybody? We're on the pontoon next to Mark's boat and the place is deserted. OK, the F6 gusts coming through and the F8 from the SW promised tomorrow aren't as inviting as they might be, but the pulled pork at The Boathouse today was excellent.

    (We currently have five hefty lines holding us forward. As long as tomorrow's stinker is from the SW as promised we'll be fine, but anchoring in the pool to the north is an active Plan B. Wheeeee.)
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    2,329

    Default Re: Ulva Ferry: Pontoons and excellent food

    We’re holed up on a nice big mooring in Loch Ewe curtesy of Robert of these parts! We had to move from Mill Bay as our livers could not take another night like last night...

    But yes, very quiet here, only started to rain early pm and sitting out enjoying the warmth along with lovely mountain and cloud scapes. Must get to Ulva Ferry sometime soon, maybe on our way down in the next week or two.
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SW Scotland
    Posts
    19,374

    Default Re: Ulva Ferry: Pontoons and excellent food

    Quote Originally Posted by ctva View Post
    We’re holed up on a nice big mooring in Loch Ewe curtesy of Robert of these parts! We had to move from Mill Bay as our livers could not take another night like last night...

    But yes, very quiet here, only started to rain early pm and sitting out enjoying the warmth along with lovely mountain and cloud scapes. Must get to Ulva Ferry sometime soon, maybe on our way down in the next week or two.
    Sustained winds at 30kt now, more or less dead southerly. Which is nice, because the pontoons here can get ... interesting in strong south easterlies. At Mark's suggestion, and like his boat, we are now mainly sitting back on a couple of stern springs with fairly loose bow lines to reduce snatching. It seems to be working - the motion is a significantly less jerky and the noise is less.

    The plan is to stay here tomorrow, escape to the north when we can (Tuesday?), hole up in Loch Sunart for the next stinker and then work our way back to the Clyde. But who knows? It's almost autumn ...
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to