Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Boat - Clyde, Home - Overlooking the Tamar
    Posts
    4,062

    Default Re: Ulva Ferry: Pontoons and excellent food

    Interesting that you are seeing 30kts there. We are at Tayvallich with very little perceptible wind, but then it is very sheltered here.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    2,327

    Default Re: Ulva Ferry: Pontoons and excellent food

    Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Sustained winds at 30kt now, more or less dead southerly. Which is nice, because the pontoons here can get ... interesting in strong south easterlies. At Mark's suggestion, and like his boat, we are now mainly sitting back on a couple of stern springs with fairly loose bow lines to reduce snatching. It seems to be working - the motion is a significantly less jerky and the noise is less.

    The plan is to stay here tomorrow, escape to the north when we can (Tuesday?), hole up in Loch Sunart for the next stinker and then work our way back to the Clyde. But who knows? It's almost autumn ...
    Were getting 30+ here at the moment (one up man ship ) but hopefully not for too long. Lovely sunset sky in the west now.

    Have a good night and well compare notes in the morning.
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SW Scotland
    Posts
    19,365

    Default Re: Ulva Ferry: Pontoons and excellent food

    Quote Originally Posted by Robih View Post
    Interesting that you are seeing 30kts there. We are at Tayvallich with very little perceptible wind, but then it is very sheltered here.
    It has died down a lot here and veered as predicted. Very light SSW now. I'm guessing that Tayvallich would be very sheltered indeed from the SE.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SW Scotland
    Posts
    19,365

    Default Re: Ulva Ferry: Pontoons and excellent food

    Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    It has died down a lot here and veered as predicted. Very light SSW now. I'm guessing that Tayvallich would be very sheltered indeed from the SE.
    This is a rubbish gale. We were supposed to get biblical rain and enough wind to uproot whole trees and all we have is a light smirr and a few half-hearted F4 gusts. Pathetic, and creates a very bad impression for tourists.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Boat - Clyde, Home - Overlooking the Tamar
    Posts
    4,062

    Default Re: Ulva Ferry: Pontoons and excellent food

    Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    This is a rubbish gale. We were supposed to get biblical rain and enough wind to uproot whole trees and all we have is a light smirr and a few half-hearted F4 gusts. Pathetic, and creates a very bad impression for tourists.
    If it makes you feel any better I can report that there is more noticeable breeze at Tayvallich now, though I wouldn’t call it a gale! However the soup and crusty roll, along with the WiFi, in the cafe are stupendous!

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SW Scotland
    Posts
    19,365

    Default Re: Ulva Ferry: Pontoons and excellent food

    Quote Originally Posted by Robih View Post
    If it makes you feel any better I can report that there is more noticeable breeze at Tayvallich now, though I wouldn’t call it a gale! However the soup and crusty roll, along with the WiFi, in the cafe are stupendous!
    It's almost calm here now, with occasional desultory puffs of wind and no rain. Meanwhile, XCWeather says



    Hah. Right, off to The Boathouse for today's special.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Boat - Clyde, Home - Overlooking the Tamar
    Posts
    4,062

    Default Re: Ulva Ferry: Pontoons and excellent food

    A yacht left Tayvallich this morning but smartly returned after enduring 30kts on the nose.....as I mentioned - the cafe is good!

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SW Scotland
    Posts
    19,365

    Default Re: Ulva Ferry: Pontoons and excellent food

    Quote Originally Posted by Robih View Post
    A yacht left Tayvallich this morning but smartly returned after enduring 30kts on the nose.....as I mentioned - the cafe is good!
    The ferryman here tells me that it is, or was, wilder out in Loch na Keal, though it's flat calm at the pontoons now. The special today was smoked haddock chowder - so good that I had two.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    2,327

    Default Re: Ulva Ferry: Pontoons and excellent food

    Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    This is a rubbish gale. We were supposed to get biblical rain and enough wind to uproot whole trees and all we have is a light smirr and a few half-hearted F4 gusts. Pathetic, and creates a very bad impression for tourists.
    We’re still in Loch Ewe and can confirm that yesterday and over night we got your biblical rain and constant gales. Whilst dry and odd blue sky just now, still a steady 5-6 in the shelter.

    Still, I’m getting lots of the wee jobs done on the boat.
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SW Scotland
    Posts
    19,365

    Default Re: Ulva Ferry: Pontoons and excellent food

    Quote Originally Posted by ctva View Post
    We’re still in Loch Ewe and can confirm that yesterday and over night we got your biblical rain and constant gales. Whilst dry and odd blue sky just now, still a steady 5-6 in the shelter.
    Very odd night here. Wind started in earnest at about 11pm, but was so warm that it was still shirt sleeves weather outside. It has calmed down a bit but still F4/5 from the S. Forecast SE so we really need to leave, but I think a call needs to be made later about where we go. WInd over tide at Cagliach Point until 6pm ish, so it might be Acarseid Mor on Gometra and then a hop north if things look OK in the evening.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to