Page 1 of 24 12345611 ... LastLast

Default "MOB Myths Busted!" - Best YM article in a while

There was a long MOB thread this Feb which discussed many different recovery ideas:
    http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...on-left-aboard

September YM contains an article written by Noel Dilly, who seeks to debunk a raft of what he terms "MOB myths". There's something in there to surprise and educate all. Most of his arguments are entirely solid, others may raise a few eyebrows. E.g.:

Myth 4: Danbuoys are relatively easy to locate
    Myth 5: A crash tack will stop the boat (author really takes this technique apart!)
    Myth 9: You can throw the MOB a line and pull him alongside
    Myth 10: A towed sling will follow in the boat's wake
    Myth 14: The MOB has to be lifted in horizontal position (that surprised me)

Well worth a read and well done YM team for cooking up something innovative and informative. Hopefully the article will go on general release after the usual embargo period.

Default Re: "MOB Myths Busted!" - Best YM article in a while

Yes I enjoyed that piece, especially having tried some MOBs on my new boat last week. A crash tack absolutely will not stop it. Nor will any amount of dicking about make it heave to, or not in the time we had available.
    Last edited by Scala; 20-08-17 at 21:29.
    Graham - Bavaria 42 Vision, "Scala"

Quote Originally Posted by Scala View Post
    Yes I enjoyed that piece, especially having tried some MOBs on my new boat last week. A crack tack absolutely will not stop it. Nor will any amount of dicking about make it heave to, or not in the time we had available.
    Got the wrong boat then.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    There was a long MOB thread this Feb which discussed many different recovery ideas:
    http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...on-left-aboard

September YM contains an article written by Noel Dilly, who seeks to debunk a raft of what he terms "MOB myths". There's something in there to surprise and educate all. Most of his arguments are entirely solid, others may raise a few eyebrows. E.g.:

Myth 4: Danbuoys are relatively easy to locate
    Myth 5: A crash tack will stop the boat (author really takes this technique apart!)
    Myth 9: You can throw the MOB a line and pull him alongside
    Myth 10: A towed sling will follow in the boat's wake
    Myth 14: The MOB has to be lifted in horizontal position (that surprised me)

Well worth a read and well done YM team for cooking up something innovative and informative. Hopefully the article will go on general release after the usual embargo period.
    Why not elaborate on these so called myths that have apparently been debunked.

Quote Originally Posted by alant View Post
    Why not elaborate on these so called myths that have apparently been debunked.
    What, plagiarise the magazine article?

Mike.

I can't access the article so have no idea about who wrote it or his findings BUT

A danbuoy is better than nothing especially at night with a strobe.

A crash tack will stop a boat or at least it did for a Vancouver 34.

It depends on how far and accurate you can throw a line and if he can get into the loop.

Most things towed follow the boat, but never having tried the old circling method I don 't know if you could get a long enough line to encircle a MOB but a line will definitely follow the boat.

There is a lot of discussion about lifting casualties and much depends on how long they have been in the water and how hypothermic they are, I would like to see his evidence, on the balance of probabilities if it's possible to lift horizontally unless their is overwhelming evidence not too then I would go for a horizontal lift.

Quote Originally Posted by petehb View Post
    A crash tack will stop a boat or at least it did for a Vancouver 34.

Works on a Moody 31 too - I've tried it.

This thread looks like it's gonna be fun.

Myth 1 A crash tack is supposed to stop a boat.

I cant access the article ether.
    My opinion.
    MOB fact. If you have not practiced it. It doesn't matter what your favourite technique is. It probably will not go well.
    I can see a Dan Bouy much better than a persons head. Dan Buoy is for when you loose sight of MOB.
    I usually practice finding my hat. Usually without a Dan buoy.
    I wouldn't bet on a MOB being able to catch or hold a line. Still worth trying though.
    A towed sling will follow the boats wake, It may not be in the wake but it will follow the boat. If the boat is moving.
    Lifting MOB horizontally is current SOP by most if not all emergency responders where possible.

I'm not a fan of ' crash tack ' as it won't work in severe condititions, where one may most likely get a MOB.

A controlled ' gybe immediately ! ' gets one back straight to the casualty but is risky with the boom whizzing about - only for experienced / well handled & drilled crews.

The ' Reach Tack Reach ' works very well; I always carry a danbuoy + lifering with drogues &lights and the mainsheet is set up to lift people ( if they're wearing harnesses ) back aboard.

Parbuckling is another option.

It will all be a nightmare if it happens, and frankly speaking as someone whose racing dinghy crew was swept overboard in surf - one relies a lot on adrenaline - fitness plays a big part too and I'm not sure I could do that recovery again now compared to being 20.
    Last edited by Seajet; 20-08-17 at 20:06.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please PM me here - www.anderson22class.co.uk

Page 1 of 24 12345611 ... LastLast