Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Tarquin Trader

Wiggo is offline Registered User

Default Re: don\'t be silly

The Royal Navy limits its ships to 12 knots in peace time, not to save fuel, nor even to allow the Jolly Jack Tars to enjoy the trip, but for health and safety reasons. Above 12 knots, you can't go below and make a cup of tea without risking a serious scalding accident. A claim like that could bankrupt the Navy, these days.

<hr width=100% size=1>Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
    The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, and is not preceded by a period of worry and doubt.
    <span style="color:blue">
    http://www.nereid-charter.com
    </span>

Aardee is offline Registered User

Default Re: Fleming 55 Fuel Consumption Figures

In a "Mystic Meg" moment...

After 389 posts with many forumites putting more effort into your boat purchase than they did their own, we'll all finally have a full grasp of the Traders' fuel consumption in MPG & GPH (at all speeds/ RPM/ Trim...) to 18 decimal places.

You'll then try it in a decent chop, it'll handle like a sack of excrement, and all this hot air will be for nowt.

Did you not have girls at your school?? [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<hr width=100% size=1>"I am a bear of very little brain and long words bother me" - A A Milne.
    The artist formally know as Mystique.

Default Re: yes yes, i agree

Its actually amazing what you can;t learn tcm!

You are simply refusing to accept that the very figures you commented on claiming they supported your no free knots prove the opposite - but even with thise figures now explained to you, do you accpet? No ... facts simply do not matter to you.

" Those daft buggers going down to the med at 10 knots to save fuel must be just stupid, after all. perhaps their fuel guages were all wrong. And likewise the royal navy limiting its ships to 12knots on exercise to conserve fuel - that's stupid as well. It's amazing what you can learn here innit? "

If you are going to be cynical, at least make sure your facts are right. Thos boats are not planing boats = they are mainly displacement boats and again if you care to look at what I have written all the way through this thread it is that as you increase speed in a displacment/semi displacment boat you will use more fuel BUT this is not the case with the planing boat that can actually burn more fuel just before it planes.

Your very points you are making against me actually support the findation of my points.

I suggest that if you cannot properly debate the facts and stop jumping at figures without analysing them, that you stick to your non-boaty iriony threads which I have to say are very good indeed. :-)

<hr width=100% size=1>Paul
    Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat
    http://www.multihulls4us.com

Default Re: I\'m comnfused now

Yes it is supposed to be good because your are swapping speed for comfort BUT that is a value judgement, there is no wrong and no right, everyone can decide on the facts.

Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat

Wiggo is offline Registered User

<blockquote><font size=1>Quote from previous post:</font><hr>

Your very points you are making against me actually support the findation of my points

<hr></blockquote>

Findation. Presume that's a cross between a finding and a foundation, or something that you build circular arguments on, Paul? ;-)

<hr width=100% size=1>Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
    The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, and is not preceded by a period of worry and doubt.
    <span style="color:blue">
    http://www.nereid-charter.com
    </span>

Default Re: We\'ve had several on cruises in company...

Kim
    It seems that I am incapable of a starting a thread that just stays simple and does not rattle feathers .... this one is what has become a typical Gludy thread with lots of people with their back up .. :-)

"I get the impression that most owners of these models sooner or later settle down to quite modest cruising speeds, no higher than mid-teens -- and often they rumble along like a veritable cruise liner at 10 knots or so "

I agree - I take what you say as fact. In my case the 575 model is more economic up to 18 knots and less economic above 18 knots.
    I get about 0.6mpg out of mt Squadron. that whats the Trader give me at 25 knots cruising. So the Trader type boat offers me a choice. I can choose to go 20 knots plus a pay for it, I can choose to go high teens and pay the same or I can choose to go slower and be more economic ... the key is that I have the choice.
    Add to that the space, the drying out and the increased level of comfort and you have the main reasons for considering a shift.

"I know I keep pecking away at this one on your threads but I genuinely don't think you buy a semi-displacement hull for fuel efficiency -- but I do agree you buy it because it generally works okay at whatever throttle settings you make from displacement to high teens. 20-knots plus and some are definitely better than others. "

One day after red has gone the fuel efficiency factor may well become much more of an issue. However, fuel efficiency give range and people who want long distance crusing need range. So in that sense they do buy on fuel efficiency.

"In terms of build, I've personally never heard of one sinking and they generally seem fairly robust. Stainless steel work on the early ones particularly was not great -- a trait shared with many Taiwanese builds of the period. But whichever way you look at it you get a hell of a lot of boat for the money and the entertaining space is, as highlighted elsewhere on this forum, virtually unmatched length for length anywhere else. From memory you can also get all around the engines even on a 61-series equipped 41+2, which I personally like. Biggest bonus probably, compared to most boats of Taiwanese origin, is that these have been going long enough that they have a recognised market value. "

The space ia very important factor - the same length boat giving almost twice the space!

Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat

Default Re: Fleming 55 Fuel Consumption Figures

I just gave the 4.88 stuff becauee I read it of the calculator .... calm down ... this forum is about sharing info and enjoyment not getting stressed. :-)

Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat

Default Re: Questions on your analysis gludy

So which is it?

I am amzed that you cannot accept the figures.

Just before the hump you have worse fuel consumprion travelling at 12 knots than you do at 20 knots .... that is the point I made. It was being compared to a semi-displacment boat that does not have this reversed fuel situation.

"No they dont. They show that in the area of where most planing boats are used 20-28knots, fuel consumption doubles. You only pick the bits that make your argument. I'd guess the difference in the trtaders consumption between 18 and 24.6 knots was flatter than before it?"

You have on those figures a flat consumption up to a certain point and then in passes its efficient cruising speed and can double. Yes... that is what I am saying.
    I also said this depends on your boat. My boat consumes about the same from 14 knots up to 25 knots, after that, to get 6 extra knots I can really burn up fuel.... I have explained this.

"Yes the figures prove that but what's your point? Isn't that the same if not MUCH worse with a semi displacement?"

No semi displacement justs keeps increasing fuel consumption the faster you go - there is no hump and no reverse of efficiency.
    The trader 575 at 12 knots gives 1.1 mpg, at 18 knots 0.6mpg and at 25 knots about 0.4mpg.

"Oh, and points two and three contradict themselves."

No - the figures provided, which are not in dispute by me proof what i am saying is correct. The figures show that on that boat an efficient fuel consumption would mean crusing at about 22 knots. Other boats are different but the same logic applies.

Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat

"Findation. Presume that's a cross between a finding and a foundation, or something that you build circular arguments on, Paul? ;-) "

The penalty for sending so many posts with two finger typing ... :-)

Or could it be that on this thread I was trying to establish a foundation for my next purchase decision ... sort oif finding out the facts and so 'Findation' as a new english word is not a bad way of describing the process.

Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat

mjf is offline Registered User

Default Changing my life

This thread is changing my life.....I cannot get any work done!

<hr width=100% size=1>