Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27323334353637

Default Re: Steel boat as a long-term liveaboard (in a warm(er) climate).

Brent Swain

This message is hidden because Brent Swain is on your ignore list.

View Post

Brent Swain

Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    Brent Swain

View Post

Brent Swain

What does that post contribute to the sum of human knowledge?

When I was first looking to purchase a Yacht I had a quick look at a steel boat. It looked a reasonable purchase, until I found out it was DIY welded.
    As I could not check the quality of the welds and it was made outside in the UK I did not even consider purchasing it.

The quality of the welds was the real doubt for me. Plus knowing it hade not been made is a nice dry country so the plates and welds would have started to corrode before there would have been chance to paint it did not help.

Unhappy Re: Steel boat as a long-term liveaboard (in a warm(er) climate).

Mr Swain, thanks for your reply in another thread about your alternator welder. You know chap you come in for a lot of stick, and most of that is due to the way you communicate. Why don't you just learn to post pics, a picture speaks a thousand words. I had a google around, there are whole websites with sections dedicated to your infamy.
    However down the page are others of people who have built some of your designs. The site below is excellent and informative.
    This "origami" method is very interesting indeed and looks easier to corrosion proof than a framed hull. I do have some doubts looking at that pic on the bilge keel load spreading through the hull, and the lack of bulkheads to act as sheer panels within the hull. Neverthless I can see the attraction of building a small boat this way.
    Very clever and simple methodology. So please in future when you say something, provide some pics, or a link to something to add context to what you are trying to say. It may serve to close the credibility gap, which would be good for everyone
    It is OK to disagree, fine to go against conventional wisdom, some of the greatest leaps have been made by going against the grain, but please leave room for other perspectives, and try to answer questions with facts not anecdotes.
    You have valuable something to offer. Talk about and show more of your constructions, it is all genuinely interesting, and actually doing so may make converts of some of us yet.

If you do ever come over here, look me up and I will take you to see a proper hull, 27ft long, 60 odd tons, and around 1200 horsepower.

Here is that link to a Swain boat build, interesting

https://theboat.smugmug.com/Boats/Kim/i-5wDdZgF
    Last edited by solent clown; Today at 10:20.

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27323334353637