Page 81 of 81 FirstFirst ... 3171767778798081

Default Re: Steel boat as a long-term liveaboard (in a warm(er) climate).

Dear Brent,

Much as you and I find it baffling and even infuriating, there are some who prefer the herd mentality, who find it reassuring to do as others have done and find it a challenge to conform even more than the rest of the herd.

Your ideas are not mine, although I also built a steel boat and have dreams of cruising off into the sunset (which my daughter told me she wouldn't allow). Much of your design ideaas are sensible to me, but most of the tupperware boats around me would shudder to see something made and not produced half way around the world and sold for a fortune.
    The other day someone showed me an ad for a block, at $ 2000!
    But if that makes them happy, then so be it. If someone prefers an integrated navigation system costing more than my boat cost, and it all goes down because of one bad connection corroding away, then I guess that's just too bad. Some laugh at my fenders: canvas covered aeroplane tyres, free for the trouble of hauling them away, instead of expensive and not so robust inflatable plastic ones. Well, they are welcome to theirs.
    My idea of performance will be to get the most fun out of exploring, of testing my own ability to sailing, to navigate, to get pleasure out of my boat, not in trying to get the most speed out of some arbitrary rule, spend the most money, try to impress the Joneses.
    To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by coenvanwyk View Post
    Dear Brent,

Much as you and I find it baffling and even infuriating, there are some who prefer the herd mentality, who find it reassuring to do as others have done and find it a challenge to conform even more than the rest of the herd.

Your ideas are not mine, although I also built a steel boat and have dreams of cruising off into the sunset (which my daughter told me she wouldn't allow). Much of your design ideaas are sensible to me, but most of the tupperware boats around me would shudder to see something made and not produced half way around the world and sold for a fortune.
    The other day someone showed me an ad for a block, at $ 2000!
    But if that makes them happy, then so be it. If someone prefers an integrated navigation system costing more than my boat cost, and it all goes down because of one bad connection corroding away, then I guess that's just too bad. Some laugh at my fenders: canvas covered aeroplane tyres, free for the trouble of hauling them away, instead of expensive and not so robust inflatable plastic ones. Well, they are welcome to theirs.
    My idea of performance will be to get the most fun out of exploring, of testing my own ability to sailing, to navigate, to get pleasure out of my boat, not in trying to get the most speed out of some arbitrary rule, spend the most money, try to impress the Joneses.
    To each his own.
    Good post.Good points. I guess they will be sarcastically laughing at us, all the way to the bank to make their payments , then all the way to work in smoggy traffic jams , to pay for it all, with their "I'd rather be sailing" bumper stickers on, while we go cruising.
    I guess we should be thankful that their insistence on doing it Yottie means we will have our anchorages to ourselves more often.
    Al human progress was made by those who questioned the "Normal' ways of doing things and and tried to find a better way, going against the flow. Without them we would still be in the stone age.

No doubt the guy who invented the wheel was subject to sarcastic ridicule by the ludites and sheeple of his time.
    What do the lemmings call the one running away form the cliff? Crazy ,laughable , a complete idiot!

unless you start smelting your own iron you are just as much part of what you phrase "the herd" otherwise known as wider society and economy. Doing things your own way is fine, but do not be so dismissive of those that go to work full time in proper jobs, without that "herd" there would be civilisation, no means of production, no steel, no welding rods, no scrapyards full of bits for you to scavenge. Decrying that civilisation and being an active part of it is fine, opt out then, but to the best of my knowledge, steel does not grow on trees. You seem to exist on the margins of society in your own way, people might applaud that you know, if you stop slating everyone else.

SC
    That reminded me of the Mother Earth News, which I used to read in the 80s. Full of backwoods types that had escaped the evils of society and prided themselves on self relience, while running down big business and people involved in it, but were quite happy to use pickups and chainsaws, made cheaply by same BB and, as you say, use any salvaged kit if it suits them.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
    What do the lemmings call the one running away form the cliff? Crazy ,laughable , a complete idiot!
    Good to go against the flow sometimes, but careful of that argument sinking analogy!

It comes from the 1958 Academy Award winning winning blockbuster Disney film White Wonderland, which invented the myth of mass lemming suicide. It subsequently transpired that the lemmings were filmed in Calgary not the Arctic Circle, they were thrown of the cliff by a Disney manufactured death contraption, and the featured polar bear was filmed in Disney Studios
    Last edited by dom; Yesterday at 15:51.

Page 81 of 81 FirstFirst ... 3171767778798081