Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Repower Princess 266

Gents

This is my first post so hello we are in the throws of buying a 1989 princess 266R which we have fallen for she is a very pretty boat that has stood the test of time in design and still looks great, this one has spent the last 19 years on the River Thames and in the last few years has been left without use by its elderly owners.

The engines are twin AQ205 appear to be a little sick, so much so that we haven't been able to sea/river trial her yet but early indications are that they do not idle and appear to need to manifolds and risers as its I the water we haven't checked the drives but I am assuming the worst and that they will need refurbishing

As ever with these things my mind is turning to repowering and converting to diesel, I appreciate in pure running costs it usually doesn't make sense but later in saleability and availability/price of petrol on the river are all factors for consideration.

So looking at newer sports cruiser sealines and windy's etc they all have a single engine option and maybe a bow thruster.

I have seen a few KAD32's for sale recently at £5k and assuming I could refurbish the existing leg and maybe trade in the current engines/legs for parts or repair a budget of £10k may see this with a single diesel engine.

This boat will for us spend most of its time on the River Thames and so speed isn't everything but with 1 eye on saleability and if we decide to go to the coast it would be good to make sure it will plane and cruise at say 25kts

So initially my question is with a KAD32 fitted and duoprop would the boat get up over the hump and plane.

Displacement is 2750kg I assume this is dry weight and unloaded but is similar in weight to the S24 and much lighter than a S28 which had a single engine option in KAD44 guise.

the KAD32 would give plenty of power for the river and a single diesel with bow thruster would be a perfect combination, but what about any sea or fast tide/estuary work.

Clearly twins might be the ideal but once you start doubling costs of buying and installing and then servicing it just doesn't stack up.

I am probably answering my own question that a single KAD44 would be better but I haven't seen so many of those about.

Great Forum and all advice welcome.

All the best
    Chris

Default Re: Repower Princess 266

Personally I would abandon the idea and just look for a boat with diesel, if you convert this one to a single you will probably just make it completely unsellable, a single KAD32 will be too small for a 266. If it really is cheap then I would stick with replacing the original spec engines with refurbished ones, the 266 was renowned for its superb performance with the 205's so you would be ruining a classic if you changed them.

Two issues I can think of:

1) A Sealine S23/5 was hardly a quick boat with a KAD32 so you may struggle with this engine in a 266 which I suspect is a heavier boat.
    2) At river speed, with a single KAD32 you may find that the supercharger is running, which will be loud and potentially increase maintenance costs.

I'd go for a AD41 without a supercharger.

A true Princess entry level classic in its day, I remember looking at them at the boat shows.
    I don't think Princess offered this boat with any Diesel engine at the time of production.

I be very careful how you spend your money on this, I don't think I'd go the single diesel route especially with twins as it will make it sit down at the stern.

The kad 32 would be ok for river use and I'm sure you could keep it under 1500 rpm or disconnect the silver charger clutch cable .

You cannot use the petrol leg as the diesels have a differnt ratio because the don't rev as high, you would also have to play around with props to get the sweet spot should you want it to plane.

Now people might laugh as I'm not a great fan of the old D3 but this motor is 190hpand very compact 5 cylinder for its size and weight , if your hell bent on a twin diesel conversion it's a better bet weight wise than a KAD 32 , it's also a lot smooother at tickover , but as said unless your stealing the boat I'd think very carefully.
    On another note be wise if you decide to overhaul the drives and petrols as there are companies around that overhaul the petrols that think there American car engines which are not totally suitable for sea water use.

The drives and shields I can help you with but not the engines , I very rarely touch petrols these days .
    Be nice if you can post pics of the boat at some point .

Paul, is a single AD41 (with drives) really heavier than two 205's?

Princess offered this boat with twin AQAD 31 diesel engines (130hp each) or a single AQAD 41 (200hp). You could argue that the loss of 30hp against the 41 is offset by the lighter weight, but it's a much smaller capacity engine so I'm not convinced that would be the case.

If it is going to be spending most of its time on the river then I'd agree with the suggestion to simply repower with a pair of newer petrol engines. Yes, arguably a diesel will be more saleable but actually I think the lack of power will count against it from a resale point of view so you won't be any better off.

As to fuel availability and price, well at 5 knots you're not going to be using much or filling up very often so not really that much of an issue.
    Ari

---------------------------------

If a man speaks in a forest, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong..?

Is this Interceptor?

Those Volvo petrols are fine for the river, general bits are cheap because it's the very sound and everlasting Volvo 240/740 car engine, so needs the carbs serviced, new ignition bits like the car would have and I can't imagine all the risers etc have failed!? Bits can be purchased from Ebay from other people who removed engines, but it's unlikely you'll spend more than £2000 servicing the drives and engines with a few extra bits.

Quote Originally Posted by No Regrets View Post
    Is this Interceptor?

Those Volvo petrols are fine for the river, general bits are cheap because it's the very sound and everlasting Volvo 240/740 car engine, so needs the carbs serviced, new ignition bits like the car would have and I can't imagine all the risers etc have failed!? Bits can be purchased from Ebay from other people who removed engines, but it's unlikely you'll spend more than £2000 servicing the drives and engines with a few extra bits.
    Aq205 is a GM V6
    The manifolds and risers are almost a service item but plenty about
    Mike Bellamy at Lancing marine is well be worth having chat with on this

Quote Originally Posted by No Regrets View Post
    Is this Interceptor?

That's the 151/171 engine

Quote Originally Posted by ari View Post
    Princess offered this boat with twin AQAD 31 diesel engines (130hp each) or a single AQAD 41 (200hp). You could argue that the loss of 30hp against the 41 is offset by the lighter weight, but it's a much smaller capacity engine so I'm not convinced that would be the case.

If it is going to be spending most of its time on the river then I'd agree with the suggestion to simply repower with a pair of newer petrol engines. Yes, arguably a diesel will be more saleable but actually I think the lack of power will count against it from a resale point of view so you won't be any better off.

As to fuel availability and price, well at 5 knots you're not going to be using much or filling up very often so not really that much of an issue.
    If that's the case then the KAD 32 would fit the footprint of the 31. I've never seen a diesel 266 .

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast