Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Repower Princess 266

Quote Originally Posted by volvopaul View Post
    If that's the case then the KAD 32 would fit the footprint of the 31. I've never seen a diesel 266 .
    I saw one with Merc diesels once. Think it was re-engined. Having owned a 25ft sportscruiser with single KAD32, I would say that it would be underpowered in a 266. My boat weighed about 1750kgs and would hit 30 knots but it was a ton lighter than a 266. Now twin KAD32's, that would be quite something
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

It was a rare boat with diesel(s). There was one with twin AQAD 31 engines in the Med for sale earlier this year. The ad claimed that the engines had been rebuilt, which they may well have been, but absolutely everything, even the oil filler caps, had been painted green which looked a little odd and didn't inspire confidence. There's also one with a KAD 44 currently for sale but that's obviously been a re-power at some stage, the KAD 44 wasn't out when the 266 was in production.

A 266 with a pair of recent KAD32 diesels would be a fantastic boat. Expensive though. Assuming 15K for the boat, 10K for a pair of engines and then another 5-10K to sort out fitting, wiring, plumbing, legs, etc etc and you're getting dangerously close to the value of a much newer and nicer twin diesel Fairline 28 Targa.

There is a Fairline 27 Targa (similar age/size to the 266, nicer interior but not as pretty) in the CI that has been re-powered with 2x D3-160 for sale for months at 25K, which gives some indication of what it might be worth on resale - ie never worth it.

Shame, because the 266 Riviera is a great boat.
    Ari

---------------------------------

If a man speaks in a forest, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong..?

Gents,

Thanks for all of your thoughts, the engines are the 4.3 V6 AQ205 which I understand are basically an American small block I have no doubt that 400HP when working well is sparkling in what is a relatively small/light boat.
    My thinking was that as many new manufacturers go down the single diesel route so long as its the right power to maintain a reasonable cruising speed then the reduced running costs ie servicing and fuels would be welcomed by any future purchaser. I have to say if the boat is kept and sold on the river this option would be welcomed. But I personally want to keep the boat for some time and so like to have all options covered.
    The KAd32 at 170 bhp with a paired outdrive would be down hp on the standard diesel options princess issued ( ari is correct) very few of these were sold in the UK most diesel ones are in the med. but the KAD is a punchier engine with the SC than the AD41?
    Paul, I appreciate the D3 maybe a better engine but I feared for the electronics and general complexity and then the base cost, which would be way more than a KAD.
    I am waiting an engineers report to tell me exactly what is wrong with the existing engines, I too struggle to imagine that all 4 manifolds and risers have all failed/are needing replacement.

42 knots with the AQ205/dp when new!

The KAD 32 might be 'punchier' low down than the AQAD 41, but at 2.4 litres vs 3.7 litre, it's a physically far smaller engine. Okay in a Sealine S23 but it's REALLY going to struggle pushing a 266 along (remember this is 26ft 'old school', ie to the transom. It's nearly 28ft LOA and 10ft beam - a far far bigger boat).
    Ari

If a man speaks in a forest, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong..?

Ari thanks your right the 266 is old school a bigger boat than the S23/25 and whilst they are similar in weight the extra length and more importantly beam will make a big hump to get over.

So maybe we are talking a single AQAD41 or KAD44 going to twin engines really isn't an option costs wise as you pointed out above.

I have considered the T27 as there were many more sold in the UK with a diesel option but I just don't really like the styling it looks too nose down all the time. plus I am not a massive fan of a lot of wood in 80's boats.

I have fallen for the 266R so will try to sort this one out!

Quote Originally Posted by volvopaul View Post
    That's the 151/171 engine
    Apologies...should have read it more carefully! this might be the 760 motor then? Always awful unlike the 4's.

Yup, best avoided. A pair of V6's on the river is too much. Not a great boat for the Thames IMHO, but pretty, and cheap. Not cheap enough to repower I would imagine!

Running issues most likely ignition so not dear to sort out assuming car parts can be sourced if it is a Volvo car unit...

CLB thanks that's the sort of answer I was looking for I wouldn't be looking for 30 knts but just a sensible cruising speed and its clear from your answer and others that a KAD32 is going to be too small.

If I am to repower then a single is the only way financially it can make any sense, so what would fit? KAD44 or AQAD41?

No Regrets- It is Interceptor, do you know it?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy90 View Post
    CLB thanks that's the sort of answer I was looking for I wouldn't be looking for 30 knts but just a sensible cruising speed and its clear from your answer and others that a KAD32 is going to be too small.

If I am to repower then a single is the only way financially it can make any sense, so what would fit? KAD44 or AQAD41?
    AQAD 41 was a factory option so should fit. And there is a 266R re-powered with a KAD 300 in France so looks like that would work.

http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/19...e#.WagfoNOGOis

(Ask for photos of the engine before rushing off to look at that one...)
    Last edited by ari; 31-08-17 at 14:44.
    Ari

Quote Originally Posted by No Regrets View Post
    Apologies...should have read it more carefully! this might be the 760 motor then? Always awful unlike the 4's.

Yup, best avoided. A pair of V6's on the river is too much. Not a great boat for the Thames IMHO, but pretty, and cheap. Not cheap enough to repower I would imagine!

Running issues most likely ignition so not dear to sort out assuming car parts can be sourced if it is a Volvo car unit...
    It is not a Volvo engine but the GM truck V6 engine and considered bombproof big lazy unit and is used by both VP &
    Mercruiser OMC and many indigenous US marinisers.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast