Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: LED's in navigation lights will change their color.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhairy View Post
    Depends on at what distance you wish to be seen.
    Perhaps, but I've read two accounts by ship captains complaining that masthead tricolour lights are harder to see than deck level lights. I'll save them next time I see them as this discussion seems to come up regularly. Since LEDs are cheap to run and easy to rig I'm considering the rarely-used red over green at the masthead plus deck level directional lights. That ought to do it!
    Mostly solo sailing the 6m junk-rigged Tammy Norie. https://tammynorie.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by theoldsalt View Post
    Very old trick question - what is the colour of the glass in a starboard nav light.?
    The correct answer is BLUE (ish). This is because oil lamps and electric bulbs tend to give off a yellowish light. Blue and yellow make green.
    If the light source is changed to a very white led then the nav light will appear blue (ish).
    I see this effect frequently in updated traffic lights.
    A blue filter removes the non-blue spectrum. It isn't additive.

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    A little test this afternoon,

Switching between some white and green cree LEDs

Making your own LED lights isn't that tricky and costs little.

The blue light we see was presumably the result of using a white LED. This is exactly the result I found.--(green)
    You show this very neatly, but where can you find the green festoon LED that I presume you must have used? Chris.
    Last edited by cowpat; 04-09-17 at 06:46.
    c

Quote Originally Posted by theoldsalt View Post
    Very old trick question - what is the colour of the glass in a starboard nav light.?
    The correct answer is BLUE (ish). This is because oil lamps and electric bulbs tend to give off a yellowish light. Blue and yellow make green.
    If the light source is changed to a very white led then the nav light will appear blue (ish).
    I see this effect frequently in updated traffic lights.
    Very interesting. That explains a lot. Thanks. Chris.
    c

Quote Originally Posted by mariadz View Post
    I seem to recall when I changed all of ours, I had to specify whether the LED was for port, starboard or stern light - they were not interchangeable. Silly question but you gave fitted the right one? Although i have no idea how the others would make a blue light.
    Question. Where did you go to get specific Port/Starboard LED's?
    I simply used white cob 43mm festoon ones. Chris.
    c

Quote Originally Posted by cowpat View Post
    The blue light we see was presumably the result of using a white LED. This is exactly the result I found.--(green)
    You show this very neatly, but where can you find the green festoon LED that I presume you must have used? Chris.
    Yep, white goes blue, green stays green.
    If you click on the highlighted "white and green LEDs" it should take you to RS who sell the leds (also available elsewhere)
    And a pretty useless how to thread now photobucket has changed..
    http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...Y-anchor-light

Quote Originally Posted by rptb1 View Post
    Since LEDs are cheap to run and easy to rig I'm considering the rarely-used red over green at the masthead plus deck level directional lights. That ought to do it!
    I've considered that but the biggest problem is getting the required separation. I reckon having half lights either side of the mast above the forestay would do it. The light from LEDs is quite directional so getting an even all round light might be difficult, but it would still really supplement deck level nav lights. Probably one of those ideas that keeps getting trampled by more pressing jobs joining the list.

Quote Originally Posted by lpdsn View Post
    I've considered that but the biggest problem is getting the required separation. I reckon having half lights either side of the mast above the forestay would do it. The light from LEDs is quite directional so getting an even all round light might be difficult, but it would still really supplement deck level nav lights. Probably one of those ideas that keeps getting trampled by more pressing jobs joining the list.
    I have over a meter of mast above the top of the yard with no other obstructions but the halyard, so I'm planning to experiment with wrapping strips of red, green, and white LEDs around it. I should be able to space out the red and green by 1m.

Note that the rules for the red and green lights aren't quite as strict as for masthead lights. They need to be placed where they "can best be seen" but not "free of all obstructions" and only "near the top of the mast".

Since my boat is under 7m I'm not actually required to show any fixed lights at all! Currently I hoist a utility light on my burgee halyard (where your forestay is) as my "all round white" which isn't required to be at the masthead, under power or at anchor.

Whether an LED strip wrapped around the mast is "a light" might be debated, but since they're all all-round and unambiguous I don't think it's a problem.

I'll be happy to listen to criticism!
    Mostly solo sailing the 6m junk-rigged Tammy Norie. https://tammynorie.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rptb1 View Post
    I have over a meter of mast above the top of the yard with no other obstructions but the halyard, so I'm planning to experiment with wrapping strips of red, green, and white LEDs around it. I should be able to space out the red and green by 1m.

Note that the rules for the red and green lights aren't quite as strict as for masthead lights. They need to be placed where they "can best be seen" but not "free of all obstructions" and only "near the top of the mast".

Since my boat is under 7m I'm not actually required to show any fixed lights at all! Currently I hoist a utility light on my burgee halyard (where your forestay is) as my "all round white" which isn't required to be at the masthead, under power or at anchor.

Whether an LED strip wrapped around the mast is "a light" might be debated, but since they're all all-round and unambiguous I don't think it's a problem.

I'll be happy to listen to criticism!
    I was thinking of the LED truck sidelights that are readily available these days and are reasonably water proof. I'm not sure you can get the strip lights suitably protected from the elements, but willing to be corrected.

I've about 10' of mast above the forestay so plenty of space to fit with good clearance between the red and green. I am concerned though about holes in the mast at that point, even very small ones (mast head kite - drawings show jumpers and runners but she was built without them).

I'm not sure you can get the strip lights suitably protected from the elements, but willing to be corrected.
    Well, they claim to be IP65 waterproof, and since they're non-essential I will give them a try. I can easily reach the top of my mast by folding it down or climbing the sail battens, so it's not too much of a pain to experiment.

I am concerned though about holes in the mast at that point, even very small ones (mast head kite - drawings show jumpers and runners but she was built without them).
    Ah, the joys of a low-stress mast!

I've made this sketch to show what I'm on about: https://imgur.com/a/camPI

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast