Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Route check - Portishead to Cardiff

Sensible because you are running out of time if you want to use your boat properly this season. It's already September and if recent years are anything to go by then October can also have nice weather. Try and do as much as possible between now and the end of October before the weather turns in November where opportunities to go out are few and far between if at all.

Build yourself an outboard stand out of 2 x 4 and get the largest builders flexi tub you can find and you can take the outboard home at the end of the season and learn to winterize it, service it etc.
    Last edited by steveej; 07-09-17 at 14:52.

Quote Originally Posted by vodzurk View Post
    Ordered 6hp Tohatsu, sailpro, long shaft, free first service, 7 year warranty, £1095 inc vat, free delivery tomorrow.
    Fantastic, it'll make your trips out so much more pleasurable knowing you have a get out of jail card. It's an asset. It'll always be worth money and they sell very easily if you sell the boat/buy something else.

I have my sails, the diesel donk and a little 3hp for the tender I can always use.
    Last edited by Yellow Ballad; 07-09-17 at 15:22.
    Tom, Sundance
    2wheels1keel.com

Righty, hopefully final check on this...

Do I need a metal plate or anything to tighten the outboards' clamp against on the swim platform?

Video of swim platform, with glamorous model included...

And the clamps...

_20170908_184050.JPG

Just concerned with metal clamps onto plastic.
    YouTube: Gorjus Boating
    Boat: Sealine 195

If you put a plate on then make sure it's fixed to the swim platform so not to slide out with up and down and rocking motion, wood would be ideal if you want to protect the plastic and give the clamps something to bite in to. As always there are people out there with more knowledge then me.

Just a suggestion, but you've probably already thought of it but tie a line onto the outboard then somewhere onto the boat incase you drop the outboard when attatching it. Don't want to drop a grand into the Bristol Channel.
    Tom, Sundance
    2wheels1keel.com

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Ballad View Post
    Don't want to drop a grand into the Bristol Channel.
    Good point. Would make sense for the OP to ring his insurers now he has a relatively expensive auxiliary and add it to his policy- before going out. That way he will have cover if the worst happens.
    Hanse 301 'Karisma' | sailingkarisma

Yep, insurance covers it as part, up'd the rate of cover, only cost a £15 admin fee.

Final question... I know ideally, the thing is meant to be flushed EVERY TIME it's used... but that gets a bit impractical (dragging it off, it's quite cumbersome, and hooking up to a trolly + water)... so what would be a good flush rate? Once per month? 3 months? 6? It's not gonna be used other than to ensure it's kept alive.

It's now currently sat full of Portishead marina. Should I just fire it up once every 2 weeks, and flush @ 3 months? (It has a first service at 3 months, so that'll sort it for the first time).
    YouTube: Gorjus Boating
    Boat: Sealine 195

I wouldn't worry about running it up every couple of weeks, they are pretty reliable and start easily. Running it up often for short periods can coke the plug up making it harder to start when you need it. As for flushing it, ideally after every time but as you'll only use it occasionally (most of the salt water will drain out) . If you only use a handful of times a year I would just flush it mid season and at end of the season. If it was on a tender you used weekly then more.

Some more Tom's tips (as you haven't had any other replies)...

Don't keep much fuel in it, it will go stale and make it hard to fire. I assume you carry spare fuel for the boat so use that if you need fuel for the aux. Im also assuming you top your tank up with the spare fuel and get fresh back up fuel regularly (so you don't have old fuel in the locker). When you do run it, turn the fuel tap off and run the carb dry. Oh carry some spare spark plugs and a spanner, 9.9 times out of 10 a new plug works wonders if it's hard to start, also check what the manual says about storing it, I don't think 4 strokes should be on their sides (if you keep it in a locker).

Hope this helps, any dates for the trip?
    Tom, Sundance
    2wheels1keel.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123