Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Seafire over Harwich today

On Gannet, Eglinton in '49 we did have a squadron of Seafires and a Sea Vampire as well as Fireflies and Barracudas, I did get a trip in a Barracuda, dummy divebombing over Magilligan Sands at that time.
    'Reinstate MadFrankie'

Quote Originally Posted by reginaldon View Post
    On Gannet, Eglinton in '49 we did have a squadron of Seafires and a Sea Vampire as well as Fireflies and Barracudas, I did get a trip in a Barracuda, dummy divebombing over Magilligan Sands at that time.
    I always feel sad that all the publicity is given to a handful of planes, when the workhorses of the time carried so much of the burden and are now so little known.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

G-INFO lists seven Seafires registered in the UK and though that has no bearing on flyability it does perhaps indicate what the potential is.
    There are doubtless more abroad.
    It was not a great success as a Naval fighter mainly because the undercarriage was weak and far too narrow for stability on deck, accident losses were huge. The structure in general was not really strong enough for carrier ops and it had severe limitations in deck performance (being a "hot ship"), ditching characteristics and handling problems due to the various mods incorporated.

I doubt it was much liked by its pilots but at least they didn't write excoriating ditties about it like they did of the unloved Barracuda!
    Last edited by Normalfornorfolk; Today at 10:25.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234