Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Default Re: Needles / Overly Cautious?

Alant - given where you live I should bow to local knowledge, although I do recall the few times I've gone in via the North Channel that Hurst Castle and its light isn't that visible from NNW (ie at the other end of the North channel) , as the bank of the spit is a bit in the way. It's a good few years since I was there however.

Nonetheless, I genuinely cannot remember any time where my GPS and depth have suddenly "dropped out", alongside which when in close quarters I also run the ipad navigation. With both engine and sails available to me, I still don't get the worry about a lee shore - boats sail upwind these day n'est pas?

From the Needles to the Nab, from Cowes to St Catherine's

These days I generally 'cut the corner' rather than go as far North as the buoy.
    Substance over style

Quote Originally Posted by Little Grebe View Post
    These days I generally 'cut the corner' rather than go as far North as the buoy.
    Agree - it is only a useful reference point in these days of GPS. Fort Albert is a better reference point once you get into the channel than Hurst itself. The stream runs more or less parallel to the beach, so you really do go with the flow.

If the OP is talking about the Sunday of the first weekend of September he missed some horrid seas coming up to the Needles mid-flood. We came back that way from the Scuttlebutt cruise. The closer we got to the Needles the higher the seas got, it was very uncomfortable. As we were coming from the south we just turned right up the Needles channel so no idea if the North Channel was better or not. That was in a Bavaria 36, anything smaller than that would have been truly scary I think.
    Still learning.

Just clicked on Marine Traffic to see if a yacht was entering the Needles on the flood. Look at this beautiful old girl (Morning Star) charging straight up the main channel. I wonder how many times she's done that.

Not a MAB fan per se, but she's stunning

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...y:50.6/zoom:10

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post

Not a MAB fan per se, but she's stunning
    To return to sanity it is necessary to think of the bills associated with such a classic. And the potential man hours/man months/man years spent in a cold boatyard.

Quote Originally Posted by lpdsn View Post
    To return to sanity it is necessary to think of the bills associated with such a classic. And the potential man hours/man months/man years spent in a cold boatyard.
    And imagine de-rigging that little lot at the end of a day's sail! That's why I prefer to just look!

Mind you, as a children's learning/development charity I'd guess they have quite a lot of free labour for the basic stuff and that the outcome is a win-win all-around.

Lovely! Also stavros s niarchos and blue clipper behind them, just through or coming up to the needles channel now

Quote Originally Posted by Little Grebe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    Agree - it is only a useful reference point in these days of GPS. Fort Albert is a better reference point once you get into the channel than Hurst itself. The stream runs more or less parallel to the beach, so you really do go with the flow.
    When leaving Poole via the East Looe we normally just point at the middle of Hurst Narrows (085 deg IIRC).
    Similarly, when leaving Hurst, we point straight at Poole entrance (wind allowing).
    There seems no advantage in going via the North Channel unless you need the deeper water that you get by following the contours round 100 yards or so off the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
    If the OP is talking about the Sunday of the first weekend of September he missed some horrid seas coming up to the Needles mid-flood. We came back that way from the Scuttlebutt cruise. The closer we got to the Needles the higher the seas got, it was very uncomfortable. As we were coming from the south we just turned right up the Needles channel so no idea if the North Channel was better or not. That was in a Bavaria 36, anything smaller than that would have been truly scary I think.
    http://www.sailingalmanac.com/Almana...eschannel.html

If anyone can find details, a yacht foundered in Needles Channel in 1997, when crew "high on testosterone" (coroners remarks), decided to sail their charter yacht from Poole back to Hamble. A mayday was heard about 16.00hrs, searches were made but nothing found. At 23.00hrs people coming out of a pub near Gurnard, saw a boat on the beach, which upon investigation was found to have a body attached. The other 3 crew, were not found. OK the wind was forecast F11, but a sobering thought if anyone thinks a 'strong crew' can beat the seas near the Bridge. It was during the inquest, that the Yarmouth Lifeboat Cox stated that even they would not enter that area in F6+ even on flood.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast