Default Afternoon :) new member, new boat

Hi folks,

I've just bought a 19m Danish ex MFV.
    Idea is to convert her into a dive boat.

Bought her a fortnight ago, set off on a 280 mile trip 3 days later, been through the Caledonian canal, just waiting on a bit of nice weather to bring her the rest of the way "home" where she will be for a while in Lancashire while we do some work.
    Been a bit of an adventure so far

Cheers
    Chris

Default Re: Afternoon :) new member, new boat

Welcome to the forum, Chris. I hope you enjoy your new boat and get the nice weather you desire. Any tales about your first 2 weeks of ownership?
    #WeAreScotland
    A1

Morning Chris,

Congratulations on your new boat. You don't give many details of the boat or what work you are going to do to it, but, I know someone also in the North West who has bought a Danish fishing boat (about 47' I think) and converted it and has recently bought another larger fishing boat, also Danish I think. These boats are elderly and wood. He is a boat builder and could be a useful contact for you. His name is Scott Metcalfe and his boatyard is Waterfront Marine at Port Penrhyn, Bangor, LL57 4HN (01248 352 513) on the Menai Straits. I hope this is useful to you. Enjoy your new boat.

Is she oak on oak? How fastened?

What's the engine?

Photo would be good ... welcome to the forum and congrats on your 'new' pride and joy!

Quote Originally Posted by burgundyben View Post
    Is she oak on oak? How fastened?

What's the engine?
    Don't know about the planking, reckoned to be oak on oak but surveyor isn't convinced and thinks may be larch planking, soon find out.
    Fastened with gurt big nails.

Engine is a scania bit like a 143 but derated to 385hp swinging about 5 foot of hundested variable pitch prop

Quote Originally Posted by A1Sailor View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Chris. I hope you enjoy your new boat and get the nice weather you desire. Any tales about your first 2 weeks of ownership?
    Going across firth of forth in about f6 with loads of roll was an experience, dodging about with other trawlers and 20,000 ton bulk carriers whizzing about. (at 0200-0400).
    By morning we we buying butties in stonehaven and it was blue skies and lovely.

Most eventful was actually before setting off, trying to sort the lethal wiring. The danes had stripped the electronics before sending her over here, and when I say stripped I mean with a bolt cutter. 240V dangling behind the dashboard, 150 amp 24V wires loose in the engine room etc.
    Then running about like an arse sorting the logistics driving up and down from Bradford to Sunderland, repeatedly! Was a relief to set off.
    Last edited by yorkie_chris; 13-09-17 at 14:16.

Quote Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
    Don't know about the planking, reckoned to be oak on oak but surveyor isn't convinced and thinks may be larch planking, soon find out.
    Fastened with gurt big nails.

Engine is a scania bit like a 143 but derated to 385hp swinging about 5 foot of hundested variable pitch prop
    I thought the Danish boats tended to be oak on oak, where as the brits used larch more often,

Gotta love that big crazy Danish engineering. There was a great web page about a MFV with semi diesel. Sadly gone now.

Got her back to Lancaster this weekend, not a bad trip

27 ish hours down from Corpach to Douglass, then a not very restful few hours rest, then about 8 hours over to Glasson.