Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where can I get a Simrad RS82 VHF handset?

The RS82 seems to be an old model which is no longer available from the usual suppliers

Anyone know where I can get one?

Default Re: Where can I get a Simrad RS82 VHF handset?

Is it just the cable that's knackered?

Replacement cable here - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIMRAD-RS8...AAAOSwYlRZFWd- (albeit from Greece)

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    Is it just the cable that's knackered?

Replacement cable here - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIMRAD-RS8...AAAOSwYlRZFWd- (albeit from Greece)
    Bloody hell Pete youre on fire tonight! Yes its the cable thats failed. I didnt even think you could get the cable on its own. Thanks!

Blimey M, you didn't fit teak on your f/b, or did you?

Just a thought: IIRC, you have no direct access to the cable connector, because Ferretti left it somewhere inside the dashboard.
    That is silly imho, because if you remove and store inside the handset when you are not using the boat it lasts much longer (even considering that you have the retractable dashboard on your f/b).
    In your boots, I'd consider fitting the connector directly on the panel surface, to allow that.
    You'd lose the possibility to hide the cable inside that hole, but I don't think that would be a big loss...

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post

Just a thought: IIRC, you have no direct access to the cable connector, because Ferretti left it somewhere inside the dashboard.
    That is silly imho, because if you remove and store inside the handset when you are not using the boat it lasts much longer (even considering that you have the retractable dashboard on your f/b).
    In your boots, I'd consider fitting the connector directly on the panel surface, to allow that.
    You'd lose the possibility to hide the cable inside that hole, but I don't think that would be a big loss...
    That's vinyl not teak!

Mike, sounds like you have a solution, but in case it doesn't work, I've had the same handsets repaired in the past via Greenham Regis who I think send them back to Simrad. I have 3 handsets (one as a spare), and this summer one of them lost the display and the other two lost Tx, so i'm hoping they still offer the repair service.

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post

Yup its my new white vinyl teak sunpad

Good point about removing the handset but then the issue becomes damaging the cable if anybody carelessly retracts the console without removing the handset which is probably how the cable got damaged in the first place. I make a point of pushing the cable back into its hole after every time I use the VHF handset and despite the fact that the cable has been damaged (probably when the boat was skippered to Barcelona and back for the gyro fitment), I think its the best way of mounting the handset given the fact that the console retracts

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_H View Post
    Mike, sounds like you have a solution, but in case it doesn't work, I've had the same handsets repaired in the past via Greenham Regis who I think send them back to Simrad. I have 3 handsets (one as a spare), and this summer one of them lost the display and the other two lost Tx, so i'm hoping they still offer the repair service.
    Thanks Nick I will bear that in mind

These Simrad sets were installed by all the leading boatbuilders.
    Supposed to be "Top of the Range" but IMO they are the worst radio on the market.
    Nick - when ours stopped TX, it was the main set that had failed and had to go back for repair.
    Actually, it is a good thing if Ferretti protect the connector - the Simrad connector isn't very waterproof and the cause of some problems.

Sorry - I just don't like the kit but we still have ours fitted.

You can get the connector for a few £ on mouser.com, plus a curly cable off ebay for another few £. Just done mine and a lot cheaper than the cable linked to on ebay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast