Default Jellyfish record

Ok, so I'm bored enough to count the jellyfish around me in Vliho. Actually I stopped counting when I got to fifty in one quadrant so I'm estimating over 200 in view. If they would only breed a bit faster I could walk to Elenas. Then again we sucked one into the engine intake last week which is rather mucky. But is this an unusual number? We've not seen this many before?
    David Berry, "Time to go South" from Amazon

Default Re: Jellyfish record

Warmer sea

Could also be the pollution level in Vliho is getting worst, I for one would never swim in there!!

I thought jellyfish primarily drifted with the current, so don't see how increased pollution could attract them?
    As noted warm waters, it is 'that time of year' when it comes to jellyfish; by far the densest concerntration we ever encountered was in the Mar Menor in NE Spain, we motored across it and I would estimate that 30-40% of the water's surface (and presumably below too?) was covered in jellyfish; Lesley didn't even want to anchor amongst them, so we drifted around until the next bridge lift and left again.
    I chose the road less travelled, now where the hell am I?

The jelly fish seem to be a captive population within the bay that only appear at this time of year. In Nidri which is at the entrance to the bay only a small number can be seen, nothing like the numbers bobbing around in Vliho Bay.

At a remote anchorage in New Zealand we found ourselves afloat in what was virtually a sea of jellyfish.

A few hours later there was a major earthquake 50 miles away. So .... be warned!
    Last edited by AndrewB; 13-09-17 at 20:11.

On long passages with nothing to do we decided to give small waves a small wave, medium waves a medium wave and big ones got a big wave. Big swells got a two handed wave.