Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Mysterious hooky device. Whazzit ?

We built one from gal reinforced concrete rod, overpainted with Al paint, hook at one end (for chain) ring at the other (for rope used to lower), never had need to use it since made 17 years ago.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Quote Originally Posted by Neeves View Post
    We built one from gal reinforced concrete rod, overpainted with Al paint, hook at one end (for chain) ring at the other (for rope used to lower), never had need to use it since made 17 years ago.
    When we were based in the Ionian we used ours several times each season, especially in August. In the Aegean perhaps on average once per season. Aluminium is the most common metal for them but I find that if needed at greater depths, e.g. 5 metres, the flotation of the rope makes it difficult so I add a diving weight. They are available in bronze at a horrendous price. A horseshoe sounds like a good compromise.
    Answers to some technical queries at http://coxengineering.sharepoint.com

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    When we were based in the Ionian we used ours several times each season, especially in August. In the Aegean perhaps on average once per season. Aluminium is the most common metal for them but I find that if needed at greater depths, e.g. 5 metres, the flotation of the rope makes it difficult so I add a diving weight. They are available in bronze at a horrendous price. A horseshoe sounds like a good compromise.
    Chain can be a bit of a problem in parts of Sydney Harbour but there are so many places to anchor the known places are easy to avoid. I have never heard of anyone here having a problem anywhere else.

I made mine based on something I had read, probably issues in the Med, and did think of making it from 3 pieces of reo rod, sort of like a grapnel. But never bothered - and as I have never had an issue it was a good call.

It must be easier in the med to hook the offending chain, with the device illustrated, as you can see clearly to considerable depth. It must be much more difficult if the water is murky (hence the thinking behind a grapnel).

I have one of these and have used it several times in the Ionian this year too. Many helping others. I too found it too light when trying to drop it into deeper water so put a fat shackle onto it

Once I used it to free my Rocna that was caught on an unmarked pipe in deep water that was clear enough to see. I got the hook onto the hoop of the Rocna. Then I let out some anchor chain while keeping tension on the line to the trip hook. With the line then put onto a winch, I got the anchor free. Without this I'd have needed a diver

TudorSailor

I have a home made one which is very similar to the OP's one. I got involved with helping a poor soul in Gunna Sound, who had been unlucky enough to foul what we took to be the main electricity cable between Tiree and Coll. The water being shallow, I was able to poke a small float on a line under the cable, using my 12 foot whisker pole from the dinghy.

After that, I made my tripping hook, and I've used it successfully a couple of times, but thankfully never with anything as big and heavy and potentially dramatic as a high voltage cable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12