Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Boats over 30 feet with tillers. Elan 333

Quote Originally Posted by pagoda View Post
    I have sailed a Sunrise 35 quite extensively with a tiller - and found it light and very responsive. About as easy to handle as some of the racing dinghies I have helmed. I never needed to think about steering as my brain is happy with a tiller- it just works instinctively. Also helmed a 44ft pilot cutter - almost 30 tons with a tiller. Equally nice though less flighty!
    Our current boat is 42 ft and has wheel steering. I'm getting used to it slowly, but finding going astern hard work unless I am also facing astern. I think nobody should worry about a tiller if the rest of the rig is well balanced. With a tiller you can feel the water passing the rudder directly- and adjust to sail loading without extra thought.
    A good wheel system should be equally direct, but some of the sensitivity is lost by the hearing needed. It is very evident on my boat's tiller when I engage the astern gear to lock the folding prop, for instance.

My only grouse about my tiller is that there is no simple way to lock the helm when not in use for those occasions when tide or wind are causing it to move overnight other than to tie it across in the lowered position.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post

My only grouse about my tiller is that there is no simple way to lock the helm when not in use for those occasions when tide or wind are causing it to move overnight other than to tie it across in the lowered position.
    Parking the tiller - either across the aft end or on a spliced figure 8 to the backstay is the proper recipe for a quiet night. it also reduces the tendency for a yacht to hunt around on wind shifts. I spliced a figure 8 to park it upright parallel to the back stay.

The PO of our boat had made a little stick that attaches to the fittings for the autohelm, and holds the tiller securely amidships. Takes a second to clip in place. The only downside is that it leaves the cockpit a bit cluttered, but when you sail in Scotland cockpits are for steering, not lounging around once you've stopped.
    Deb 33- Wayfarer- Wanderer

The Rustler 36 a heavy displacement long keeler, and still in production after 30 years, is offered in both tiller and wheel version.
    63% of them are of the tiller version.

Plank
    Hang the Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by roblpm View Post
    Two boats????!!!! Excellent
    The opposite alas. The 24 footer has all the marina fees and time spent on upkeep but multiple attempts to sell it failed so it gets two daysails a year for a lot of money. It's a glorious sailing experience for me but I'd sink it tomorrow if I could.

This is a 64ft (length on deck boat) which is tiller steered.

Check out just before the end (as well as several other places where you can clearly see the tiller).
    Last edited by westernman; 17-09-17 at 15:50.

As a youth I sailed on both the Ocean Youth Club 70 footers, "Scott Bader" and "Falmouth Packet". They were tiller steered, Bader had an offset prop shaft as well, and always took two people to helm under sail, Packet was only a bit better
    Larry Botheras

Colvic Victor 35 "Gladys"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234