Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Folkboat derivatives

In a bored Tuesday afternoon in September sort of a way, I'm looking for views, experiences, dits and comparisons on the myriad of plastic Folkboat derivatives knocking around boatyards of the UK. Years ago I sailed (with some success) on a plastic Nordic Folkboat and I loved it. At some point in the future I shall be looking to do a low budget JOG season on something with a short waterline (a whole other story) and it'll probably be an Invicta, Contessa 26, Nich 26, Liz 29, Folksong, Folkdancer or some such but of course the only one I've ever sailed is the Nordic.

Alness / Loch Ness Northern Scottish Highlands.

Default Re: Folkboat derivatives

I have sailed on a Folksong and found it a fine sea boat that sailed well, but the cabin is shall we say, small, even barely room to sit without your head on the coachroof.

Quite a few years ago there was a GRP folk boat complete with clinker lands on display at either SIBS or LIBS ( forget which) At the time it was remarkably cheap for a new boat. Even had a trailer. Do not know if it was a success but it looked lovely
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

The Holman and Pye boats of the time could be considered Folkboat derivatives. That would be the Stella, Twister, Rustler 31, and even 36 perhaps.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by ProDave View Post
    I have sailed on a Folksong and found it a fine sea boat that sailed well, but the cabin is shall we say, small, even barely room to sit without your head on the coachroof.
    I was going to look at one when I was in the market for my current boat, but abandoned the search when I saw an interior picture of the cabin. A shame, because they are drop-dead gorgeous.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

I guess that a Nordic Folkboat would suit then, but the expense puts it out of the question?

Most of the British derivatives put on a bit of weight, probably for all sorts of good reasons but they moved away from the sailing experience found in the original. Many of them had a masthead rig, as well. I would say the Cutlass, Nic 26, Liz 29, Twister et al are a fair way from the spirited, fast tacking, sprightly original.

I would look for something around 5000lb displacement with 50% in the keel and a good spread of canvas. The main will be huge so sorted mainsail reefing would be welcome for offshore work. A sprayhood would be a blessing at sea and in harbour. The plastic ones by Eric Berquist have already been mentioned, most were home finished so they vary a lot.
    The pick for me would be the International Folkboat. Drawn by Tord Sunden, almost as svelte as the Folkboat but a bit more in the topsides, smooth GRP hull and well put together by Marieholm. You would probably prefer one with an outboard (a lazarette well was standard) which can be lashed to the cabin floor
    They tend to be pricy but do come up now and again.

Here is a little blogette from a chap that used to post here:

https://marieholm26.wordpress.com/ma...m-26-the-boat/

His is a Marieholm 26 (different deck, even more topside, smaller cockpit) not an IF boat but it gives you some idea.
    Last edited by doug748; 19-09-17 at 19:20.

The Sadler 25/26 is also a folk boat derivative. The Nic 26 has full standing headroom though, not something to be sneezed at. They are all pretty cozy below, but I like being able to stand up and not bang my head.
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun

Had a Folksong, it was kitted out by an engineer, he was not impressed by the quality of what was delivered on his drive by Eric Berqist, they didn,t speak after delivery was made. Great boat, but could not sit up in it (owner was a short chap) so I sold it on. I would definitely go for a Marieholm... There is one in Chichester harbour, in a hell of a mess, with weed hanging off it but I saw it out and about last weekend, looks lovely

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat47 View Post
    The Sadler 25/26 is also a folk boat derivative. The Nic 26 has full standing headroom though, not something to be sneezed at. They are all pretty cozy below, but I like being able to stand up and not bang my head.
    I like the Sadler 25s/26s, but they really are not any sort of Folkboat derivative: very different hulls/keels.

Hurley 27/Nic 26/Bowman 26/Contessa26/Invicta etc (plenty more) are Folkboat-ish: all very seaworthy but in the effort to give better accommodation many have very narrow sidedecks which I find irritating. Personally I think the Contessa 26 and Invicta are the nicest of these.

Quote Originally Posted by jwilson View Post
    I like the Sadler 25s/26s, but they really are not any sort of Folkboat derivative: very different hulls/keels.
    There is a general tendency to describe any boat around 25 - 30' and of vaguely traditional appearance as a Folkboat derivative. Credential boosting, I guess.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast