Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Battens in head sail

I think that we can forgive you for a bit of jib trimming in those conditions. There are a lot on this forum who would not put the kite up with a full crew let alone SH once a reef went into the main.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Muse View Post
    This is correct, but you have to remember that I had eased the jib sheet because I was sailing at a broad reach in high winds (you can see that I have 2 reefs in the main and my storm jib is lashed to the port rail just in case I needed it later) and I wanted the maximum speed as I crossed the starting line of the race. (This was a pursuit race with each boat starting individually based on its handicap rating) Having the sheet trimmed tighter would not have given me max speed. It was just as I crossed the line that I raised the spinnaker. I love this photo because it shows how busy things can get when singlehanding. When you are singlehanding you give up a lot of second to second controls (like adjusting the cars) just to keep sailing at max speed.

The spinnaker originally went up in an hour glass and I had to drop the halyard by 3' to straighten it out. Here is another photo from 5 seconds earlier. You can see that the batten has not popped around yet.
    Attachment 66462
    Sometimes hour glasses are the result of the jib being eased too much, and disturbed air coming off the leach and twisting the head of the sail as it is raised. It is generally advisable to keep the Jib sheeted harder than you would normally for the angle, as this makes a more efficient wind block to hoist the kite in.

Compromise between fastest sailing and best hoist. I'd take best hoist...
    Getting the kite up clean 1 st time is always going to be faster overall.
    You never know, I might be right!

Sometimes hour glasses are the result of the jib being eased too much, and disturbed air coming off the leach and twisting the head of the sail as it is raised. It is generally advisable to keep the Jib sheeted harder than you would normally for the angle, as this makes a more efficient wind block to hoist the kite in.
    Correct. Remember that the photo was taken 12 years ago. Long before I learned how to properly raise a spinnaker singlehanded. Another problem with that raise was the spinnaker sheet being way too tight. So once the hourglass was eliminated then the boat started to round up and I had to ease the sheet a long way to regain control. Here is the complete set of 4 photos of the adventure. Lots of fun. (And make special note of the tiller under my knee)
    The hour glass
    54 Hour Glass (479x640).jpg
    Ease the halyard.
    55 sheet too tight (479x640).jpg
    Sheet too tight.
    56 too much wind (479x640).jpg
    Too much wind
    57 release the sheet (479x640).jpg
    Ease the sheet
    Last edited by Foolish Muse; 26-09-17 at 17:15.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234