Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Gone cruising
    Posts
    2,125

    Default Tavira anchorage

    We're on our way east to explore a bit further while the nice weather lasts before we get a winter berth on the Algarve. Currently anchored at Culatra, I'm thinking about breaking up the trip to the Rio Guadiana with a stop at Tavira, but satellite images show lots of moorings there and not many deep spots on the chart - is there room to anchor with our 2m draft or is that a thing of the past? Most recent information I could find on the net was from 2012 or so. Thanks :-)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Hopefully somewhere warm
    Posts
    8,888

    Default Re: Tavira anchorage

    Shouldn't be a problem, well over 1m at low water at the moment, I've been in a few times drawing 1.6m and had plenty water. Anchored up round no.2 / no.4 red. Be wary though, one cruising guide said anchor well out of the channel as the fishing boats use it , they don't! They fly up the south edge outside the reds so might be as well to tuck in between a couple of moored boats. Or stay in that deep hole down near the entrance.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Gone cruising
    Posts
    2,125

    Default Re: Tavira anchorage

    Thanks! We'll give this a try then. Read that bit about the fishing boats, good to know.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Hopefully somewhere warm
    Posts
    8,888

    Default Re: Tavira anchorage

    After Culatra you'll be well used to little open fishing boats zipping past a few feet away day and night

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Portugal-Algarve
    Posts
    1,748

    Default Re: Tavira anchorage

    Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    After Culatra you'll be well used to little open fishing boats zipping past a few feet away day and night
    You can see boats anchored in various parts and not all are on a busy course. Obviously fishing boats move in and out of the harbour.
    Dum spiro spero. Cras ingens iterabimus aequor.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Hopefully somewhere warm
    Posts
    8,888

    Default Re: Tavira anchorage

    Quote Originally Posted by 25931 View Post
    You can see boats anchored in various parts and not all are on a busy course. Obviously fishing boats move in and out of the harbour.
    Nothing at all against the fishermen, they lay nets out in the anchorage day and night as well then motor around banging the hull to scare the fish into the net, least they know what they're doing.

    The power boats are worse, plus the safest place is more on the route through to the NW where it's less likely anyone will drag into you.

    Good to be friends with the fishermen, after a few beers they sometimes disappeared round the back of the bar and come back with a bucket full of..


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Swing mooring Faro
    Posts
    5,527

    Default Re: Tavira anchorage

    Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Nothing at all against the fishermen, they lay nets out in the anchorage day and night as well then motor around banging the hull to scare the fish into the net, least they know what they're doing.

    The power boats are worse, plus the safest place is more on the route through to the NW where it's less likely anyone will drag into you.
    Over the years, we've met owners of 3 boats who've been hit by fishing boats at night. One, an American visitor, had his wind vane torn off the stern. I refuse to anchor there.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Summer Walton, Winter Iberia
    Posts
    8,670

    Default Re: Tavira anchorage

    I have only stopped over daylight hours. Good holding and plenty of water.

    Will be interested to hear how you get on.

    Have you decided where you are going to winter❓
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Neither a Remainer or Leaver be. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Petros Boat Club- Evia
    Posts
    432

    Default Re: Tavira anchorage

    We intended to anchor in Tavera overnight on our way east, but after a quick inspection decided to go on to the Guardiana where we tied alongside the pontoon on the West Bank just above the bridge.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Hopefully somewhere warm
    Posts
    8,888

    Default Re: Tavira anchorage

    Quote Originally Posted by JFowler View Post
    We intended to anchor in Tavera overnight on our way east, but after a quick inspection decided to go on to the Guardiana where we tied alongside the pontoon on the West Bank just above the bridge.
    Anyone else heading there, be careful if approaching from the south, gets a bit shallow..


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to