Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Earning a crust while cruising

Here are some of the "trades" I've seen people using round Europe:-

1. Making up covers, awnings and biminis as well as sailmending.
    2. For scuba divers, cleaning off and underwater inspections
    3. Electrix maintenance onboard
    4. Writing software and selling it over the internet.
    5. taking over FDs job during maternity leave (admittedly a CA)
    6. Marine engineering.
    7. Writing Pilots and/or travel books.
    8. Marina manager/harbourmaster.
    9. Building site work. (Only 1 of 5 was labouring, the rest were skilled tradesmen).

<hr width=100% size=1>

Default Re: Earning a crust while cursing

The hair plaiting thing always seems to go well. There is (or was, last time I went there) a woman who does hair weaving in Salcombe and, during the school holiday period, she is busy from dawn to dusk.

In a similar vein, what about henna tattooing? When the middle classes are on holiday, they love to kid themselves that they are crusties or beach bums and anything mildly rebellious like tattoos and braids (which wear off or grow out) seem to do good business.

Ignore Haydn's suggestion about brothels; he just wants you to be his ho' [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

<hr width=100% size=1>Je suis Marxiste - tendance Groucho
    Itis apis spotanda bigon etoo

I've also heard about kite making and also one couple who make muffins in marinas they visit; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.seamuffin.com/theMuffins.asp>http://www.seamuffin.com/theMuffins.asp</A>

<hr width=100% size=1>A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a Unicorn
    A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a Unicorn

Engine mechanic - diesel engineer - 12 volt electrician - varnish work - these are all skills that will find you work in Caribbean and beyond into the usa in boatyards and the like.

<hr width=100% size=1>If you have time please visit my web site -
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.michaelbriant.com/sailing>http://www.michaelbriant.com/sailing</A>
    Gentle Sailing Route to the Med
    http://www.michaelbriant.com

Hi, we're refitting, leaving April/May 05, and I am doing evening classes in bookbinding to be able to make logs, diaries and anything else whilst on board. Am working on making covers out of sail cloth etc. Don't need too much kit,(scalpel, glue, rolls of book cloth and rulers and linen thread etc) and can use the saloon table or chart table. My idea is to row around all the smart looking boats and try to flog custumized books, to order. I'll tell you if it's a goer in about a year... Have had to invest about £380 so far on lessons and kit....Might be good for my social life, and get me away from the kids a bit as well, three cheers!

<hr width=100% size=1>

mike_bryon is offline Registered User

intersting website and kites are a great idea too. As we are thinking about fresh pasta and booklet of recepies, we can do pasta/muffins swaps!
    best regards and happy sailing
    lola&mike

<hr width=100% size=1>

mike_bryon is offline Registered User

I like the bookbinding idea! good luck with the course and with the books- happy sailing
    lola&mike

<hr width=100% size=1>

You may like to consider a photo service? Most folks have pics of their boats stationary in marinas or at anchor in well known cruising spots but how many get good pics of their pride and joy under sail with recognisable landmarks in the background? You need a good dink and outboard, a digital camera,laptop and a printer plus the balls to approach potential customers after you have done the shots and suggest they pay you for prints. Bekens did it !

<hr width=100% size=1>

Study as much as you can about sports events such as horse racing or football and trade using this knowledge on a betting exchange.

Very didfficult to make fortunes this way, but if you're not too greedy, have good knowledge and discipline, it's possible to make a nice few bob.

All you need is internet access and whatever you make is tax free.

<hr width=100% size=1>

There was a geezer in the Ionian last year who would do you a painting of your boat for a couple of hundred Euros.

How about doing a TEFL course (Teaching English as a Foreign Language)? Practically guarantees a couple of months work here and there.

<hr width=100% size=1>It could have been worse - it could have been me.
    It could have been worse - it could have been me.