Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stolen outboard

Default Stolen outboard

Would fellow sailors keep a look out for the following at Boat Jumbles. Thanks in advance

(1) Tohatsu 6hp Sailpro 4 stroke long shaft.
    Serial number 012982 AA
    c/w elecric 2 pin plug and socket.

(2) Mariner MAR 7F12201Zl 4stroke longshaft.
    Serial number QR667468

(3)Mercury 4Hp 4Stroke. No throttle arm converted to cable conversion,year 2013
    serial number H1-F04201HL )R458801

Stolen from Chepstow last Friday early hours, between 3 and 6am by a gang who took 5 outboards from moored yachts.
    A few more eyes looking out and hopefully the SCROTES get caught!
    Last edited by Quimby; 10-10-17 at 19:13.

Default Re: Stolen outboard

How will the beggars profit from that? Anyone who buys an outboard from someone who doesn't have the original invoice or proof of ownership is surely pretty much as guilty as the original thieves.

guilty as charged but no remorse -----over a life time bought 9 secondhand outboards without paperwork

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rover View Post
    How will the beggars profit from that? Anyone who buys an outboard from someone who doesn't have the original invoice or proof of ownership is surely pretty much as guilty as the original thieves.
    Agreed.
    YouTube: Gorjus Boating
    Boat: Sealine 195

Quote Originally Posted by lenten View Post
    guilty as charged but no remorse -----over a life time bought 9 secondhand outboards without paperwork
    That's fine, each to their own - so long as when you grandchildren say 'Grandad/grandma, why has someone stolen my new bike/iphone/outboard/TV?' you answer 'well, that's because people like me prefer to pick up a bargain and sod the rest of you.'

That's fine, each to their own - so long as when you grandchildren say 'Grandad/grandma, why has someone stolen my new bike/iphone/outboard/TV?' you answer 'well, that's because people like me prefer to pick up a bargain and sod the rest of you.'
    I have bought two outboards without paperwork. In each case the outboard was part of the inventory of a boat and was the means of propulsion for the tender. I subsequently sold both of these as I upgraded the engines and did so without paperwork.

On the boats I purchased were other bits of kit, like GPS, lifejackets, etc. I didn't check that every bit of equipment was backed by a receipt - sometimes I actually trust people as they trust me when I sell on.

As with most things in life - there is no black and white here.
    Mike

I say Caruthers, Hold on there, That's a bit harsh

Unfortunately they don't have to be registered like a bike or a car so people don't hassle with paperwork past the guarantee. Even boats have little in the way of paperwork. Some engines being bought and sold are thirty plus years and very few are going to retain the original sales slip.

The problem also lies in trying to regulate it. If the gov decides to give them registration documents then we are going to go into a whole lot of cost. £25 for the V5 (in the UK) then they will make us put annual MOT's on them. How many engines are on boats that don't don't see the light day for years because people have bought them, boats included, and just abandon them. All that would make an already expensive hobby even more expensive!

If you also think a sales receipt will thwart the criminals, they just break them down for spares and sell without the serial number. Now, if you tell me Rob, that you have never bought second hand spares of eBay then you must be one in a million.

Unfortunately, leaving an outboard on a boat in this day and age, knowing the value of them is really asking for them to go walkies especially that these particular units are small fit in your pocket ones. Just to say, if by this last comment you think I condone theft, I don't and will happily take the thief out into the middle of the Severn and chuck him overboard with the engine and say now see how far that gets you!!!

I'd lean towards a middle ground, with some level of education being pushed out to all marinas and clubs... something along the lines of:

If buying an outboard, only buy it if there is proof of ownership.

Where somebody is buying a boat however, and it comes with an Aux, especially if ancient, then as everyone else says, it gets difficult to keep all the paperwork in order (and once the paper is gone, it's gone). So I'd add something along the lines of:

If buying a boat with an auxiliary, and the auxiliary appears reasonably new, only buy if there is proof of ownership.

I don't think genuine boat sellers will be knowingly selling stolen goods for profit (it's not the cheapest hobby, we all know there are steep costs to get into it). When 5 engines are stolen though, it's not that some chav has taken an opportunity, its because they know how to flog them, and it's probably not the case that the 5 chavs each have a boat they're currently selling. It's organised.

I've recently been looking to get an outboard, this being my first season with a boat... and my genuine first investigation was to buy one off ebay. If the marina, this forum, the RYA, etc, all do a joint up effort to educate, then I wouldn't have been looking on ebay. I probably came very close to buying a stolen outboard without even knowing it at the time! If I'd had it drilled into me in my Powerboat Lvl2, a leaflet in my RYA VHF/SRC book, a notice on my marina board and web page, a leaflet in my RYA membership pack + quarterly magazine notice, a banner on the top of this site every couple of months... etc etc... then theives could have had one less person to sell to. And there's only so many spare parts needed, so it'd really bugger up their organisation to sell in the UK.

My aux has 100% proof of ownership btw, so am only seeing this from one side of the fence.

Edit: Afterthought, as I'm running out of lunchbreak...

Is there not a reasonably easy technical solution to this which could be implemented...

1. Website / App
    2. You prove who you are to website... passport or bill or whatever, heck, even the marina vouching that it's you.
    3. You sell something, a photo of the engine + serial number is linked to your website profile.
    4. Buyer refuses to buy unless seller is registered.

Anybody has theirs nicked, get a crime reference number, and can then search recent sales and catch the seller.

Opt-in service, but thieves couldn't necessarily flip them quite so easily. Make it worldwide and we're laughing
    Last edited by vodzurk; 07-11-17 at 12:48.
    YouTube: Gorjus Boating
    Boat: Sealine 195

I saw this on Facebook. Thieving twats. Did they break any anti theft devices? or were the engines open house? On Windermere, you can but the Cumbrian police engine covers to replace your own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast