Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Is this a transducer? Can I re-use it?

The constant TLC will be worth it. Good luck with everything.
    Mike

Default Re: Is this a transducer? Can I re-use it?

Quote Originally Posted by bedouin View Post
    It is hard to say without knowing what electronics it was attached to. I think older equipment tended to use 150kHz transducers and some modern equipment still does. For example I believe NASA still use 150kHz. When I bought my boat it had an old Seafarer depth sounder installed and I replaced that with a Corus that used the same transducer (150kHz)

Joining transducer cables is also possible without major issues - it is only 150kHz not radio frequency.
    Modern echo sounders work at anything from 80khz to 200khz or more. Expect significant loss of sensitivity if 'detuning' it. Or not, if you are very lucky! Mine is dual frequency (80khz and I think 220khz which allows greater depth or greater accuracy. Joining cables is not rocket science, but what sort of shape are the conductors in after many years exposed to salt damp atmosphere in the bilges?. Ok if it was tinned, but otherwise it could be quite difficult to get a good connection. Then what sort of condition is the crystal in anyway? Yes it is /should be fully sealed, but we all know how damp can penetrate older gear. Re-using the hole is the simpler option imho, and even they are not standard.... :-)
    Is Conservation for wildlife or conservationists?
    http://boatownersresponse.org.uk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12