Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Exclamation Hard top retrofitting - any better ideas welcome

Believe it or not, the last days down here in CF have been warm enough to actually look for shadow, in the middle of the day.
    Which reminded me the very good reasons why I retrofitted an hard top on the f/b of my old lady.
    The new boat does have a bimini of course, but that's nowhere near as convenient as a more solid structure, which on top of being larger, isn't a concern whenever wind blows - not to mention the potential usage for solar panels.
    So, that and the lack of any decent TV program made me play a bit with the PC on a possible future upgrade.
    No need for further explanations, I reckon - the title and the images say it all...
    Over to you folks, thanks in advance!
    Last edited by MapisM; 11-10-17 at 22:54.

Default Re: Hard top retrofitting - any better ideas welcome

Looks good. Is it possible to have the hardtop grp pillar more accurately mirror the form of the C-pillar from the saloon?

Are you planning to rotate the radar arch 180 degrees to forward facing and then use as base for GRP additions ?

Looks good

I'm worried about the stiffness. These things wobble. I'd want bigger tube for front legs and would not have the shark fins on those short legs.

What about keeping the arch as is ( lay up Grp inside it to stiffen it maybe) and mounting short legs on the front edge of the shark fins, leaning forward? Exactly like sun seeker yacht 82 (myag)

Generally I prefer the shark fins leaning back, as on my boat, but that's just personal choice

Quote Originally Posted by bluetooth View Post
    Are you planning to rotate the radar arch 180 degrees to forward facing and then use as base for GRP additions ?
    Bingo.
    That's what I did also with the image, but as the title goes...

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    Looks good

Exactly like sun seeker yacht 82 (myag)
    Isn't Myags boat a SunSeeker 80 ?

Yup, I believe she is.
    Anyhow, this is the type of solution jfm was suggesting, I reckon. Far from saying it's bad, but I'm not loving it, either...
    Otoh, I agree with him that the tubes should be larger than in my pic - that was just to get a first, very rough idea...

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post

Bingo.
    That's what I did also with the image, but as the title goes...
    What are your reasons for reversing the radar arch?
    I ask because I think it might be easier to simply add a hard top in place of the bimini.
    Is it headroom?
    I quite like hard tops so I've often thought what I would do to add one to the P67
    Our bimini is massive but also when it is up, we have plenty of headroom.
    Which makes me think that a simple construction that extends the top of the radar arch (in its current orientation) forward.
    Again, our bimini's forward position is about where I would want a hard top to end.

I haven't played with Photoshop or anything because I can't see me doing a project like this but I think a bimini replacement style is the kind of thing I would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    What are your reasons for reversing the radar arch?
    Two reasons, M:
    1) the existing arch is way too low to just attach the HT to it and extend it forward, so it has to be redesigned somehow, regardless of its leaning direction.
    2) its position is much more astern than in JW, whose radar arch is built to allow enough space astern for the f/b crane and tender.

I fully agree that in JW the bimini coverage is just about perfect, and you should rather follow the same design, than invent anything different.
    But you can easily imagine from my pic above that by keeping the same position/leaning of the radar arch, the overall HT surface would be much larger - which is a recipe for making all sort of structural/stiffness problems even worse...
    Besides, I also tried to design something decent that could be built at a reasonable cost - hence the idea of re-using the existing arch.
    Btw, this is also to answer JTB understandable question about replicating the saloon C-pillar shape.

Then again, I can't actually think of a much better solution even if I should remove cost from the equation...
    Not that I could use a money no object approach anyway, mind!

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Yup, I believe she is.
    Anyhow, this is the type of solution jfm was suggesting, I reckon. Far from saying it's bad, but I'm not loving it, either...
    Otoh, I agree with him that the tubes should be larger than in my pic - that was just to get a first, very rough idea...
    Looks nice P. Front struts should brace forward rather than aft, reducing the tendency to lozenge. Generally hard tops on sub 60 foot boats make the styling uncomfortable, not so on yours above. From a personal perspective, I wish we had the weather to cause us to consider a bimini on Rafiki, let alone a hard top

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast