Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Default Re: Hard top retrofitting - any better ideas welcome

Quote Originally Posted by rafiki_ View Post
    Rafiki cockpit canopy
    From a functional standpoint, it's a good idea to make the extension downward oriented, considering the f/b overhang shape.
    It seems a bit limited in its extension though - horizontally, it's just 10" or so, judging from your pics?
    That's a lovely little elephant, btw!

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    All considered, I'd probably go for this simpler installation, if I should retrofit it.
    Sorry for the thread hijack, but I'm certainly going to look at this option for mine. My only concern is how much it will restrict access via the passerelle.

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Sorry for the thread hijack, but I'm certainly going to look at this option for mine. My only concern is how much it will restrict access via the passerelle.
    that's the big issue Mark...

Going aft 200mm that I really need before going down to the transom means I'm left with 1.6m at most when reaching the transom... Good thing is that it's smack in your eyes so you must be totally wasted to miss it ( I doubt you'd be able to negotiate the passerelle and reach that point tbh D) ).
    I recon it's good if you have a transom door and/or passerelle that brings you lower and not over the transom.. Which would then create problems with fitting a dinghy on the platform, knock on effects on any option.
    I was even thinking of doing two separate sections port and stbrd and leave the centre (where my passerelle is mounted) free, but it's going to create a big mess in canvas design, not sure it's worth it.

P., how would the Azi setup work with a passerelle? going aft and so much down I doubt you have much clearance. IIRC you don't have one right?

V.

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    It seems to me that you could put it higher up, on the overhang roof, giving more headroom for the passerelle

Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    It seems to me that you could put it higher up, on the overhang roof, giving more headroom for the passerelle
    not a lot though.
    You must stay under the f/b "floor" else it's going to look fugly and you're going to have issues with water draining from the f/b (unless there's a lip all around and gutters somewhere internally by the saloon door)

From a functional standpoint, it's a good idea to make the extension downward oriented, considering the f/b overhang shape.
    It seems a bit limited in its extension though - horizontally, it's just 10" or so, judging from your pics?
    That's a lovely little elephant, btw!
    Does the job V, allows seating with the canopy in place, robust neat and tidy.

In the auto trade the elephant is known as a "curry hook". Was a feature in cars to carry your take out meal safely while driving home. Clearly on Rafiki the application is more suited to a trash bag for a heavy night on the beer

IMG_0928.JPG
    SeaRay Fly 460

Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    IMG_0928.JPG
    SeaRay Fly 460
    easier to design a h/t on these modern "flowing" lines. Not so easy on the more clear cut DP ones though.
    I feel that the best approach is a scaled down version of JFMs SQ78 with twin tubes at the front slanted inwards and back to give the necessary stability.
    Problem is we are talking some serious money custom building a thing like that...

FWIW, this Searay is a bit too tall for my liking (and noway you're going to fit a passerelle on it!)

cheers

V.

Quote Originally Posted by vas View Post
    FWIW, this Searay is a bit too tall for my liking
    You can say that again.
    I'm all for practicality on boats, and that h/t does seem very practical.
    But geez... There's a limit to the ugliness level I'm willing to accept!

You can say that again.
    I'm all for practicality on boats, and that h/t does seem very practical.
    But geez... There's a limit to the ugliness level I'm willing to accept!
    Ok, I admit that I may have posted that picture as a bit of a wind up. Sorry

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345