Thread: T40 Sea Trial

Default T40 Sea Trial

Just back from my seatrial and survey on my potential T40.

All in all looks ok, albeit a couple of issues with coolers, coolant and props. Need to look at costings of getting fixed.

If I can seal the deal and get the boat for what it's worth minus works required then all should be steaming ahead.

Boat did just shy of 40 knots at WOT!!! Absolutely flew!! Performance is certainly all good!!

Big shout out to the survey dream team, VP and Nick Vass. Did a superb job and had lots of laughs to bring a long day to a great end. Would not recommend anyone else..

So now we just wait oil samples and whether the deal will be sealed!!

Watch this space.....

Default Re: T40 Sea Trial

All sounds good. 39kts sounds right - if you have access to it, the original pdi sheet for the boat should show the wot speed obtained when the boat was first commissioned. What's the detail of the issues you encountered? I'm assuming this is a D6-350 boat.

Quote Originally Posted by jcwads View Post
    Just back from my seatrial and survey on my potential T40.

All in all looks ok, albeit a couple of issues with coolers, coolant and props. Need to look at costings of getting fixed.

If I can seal the deal and get the boat for what it's worth minus works required then all should be steaming ahead.

Boat did just shy of 40 knots at WOT!!! Absolutely flew!! Performance is certainly all good!!

Big shout out to the survey dream team, VP and Nick Vass. Did a superb job and had lots of laughs to bring a long day to a great end. Would not recommend anyone else..

So now we just wait oil samples and whether the deal will be sealed!!

Watch this space.....
    Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_the_builder View Post
    All sounds good. 39kts sounds right - if you have access to it, the original pdi sheet for the boat should show the wot speed obtained when the boat was first commissioned. What's the detail of the issues you encountered? I'm assuming this is a D6-350 boat.
    So issues were -

Props - corrosion due to age and a few chunks missing from them from the corrosion. Both drives need new duo props

Coolers - Leaking lightly, so need taking apart and re sealing

Coolant - looking grubby so needs a full flush through and new coolant

Other than that only smaller things that won't be too much bother

Oh and yes D6-350

All sounds fairly normal. Props are expensive, they are G6s and you can only get them from Volvo Penta. From distant memory, rrp is about £3k for a complete set. Resealing the coolers is straightforward enough, I have to do this every 2/3 years (in fact Paul has been down here and done it once himself). The o rings are surprisingly expensive. Coolant being grubby is odd, it should be changed every two years - and when we change it after two years it hasn't had a chance to get rusty because the corrosion inhibitor is still active. Might be worth having a look at the service records to see when this was last changed.

Incidentally - is this 'Angel of Poole'?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_the_builder View Post
    All sounds fairly normal. Props are expensive, they are G6s and you can only get them from Volvo Penta. From distant memory, rrp is about £3k for a complete set. Resealing the coolers is straightforward enough, I have to do this every 2/3 years (in fact Paul has been down here and done it once himself). The o rings are surprisingly expensive. Coolant being grubby is odd, it should be changed every two years - and when we change it after two years it hasn't had a chance to get rusty because the corrosion inhibitor is still active. Might be worth having a look at the service records to see when this was last changed.

Incidentally - is this 'Angel of Poole'?
    Hi Jimmy, no it's not that boat.

Yeah, regarding coolant I'm gonna scour the history. Does seem odd!

Quote Originally Posted by jcwads View Post
    Hi Jimmy, no it's not that boat.

Yeah, regarding coolant I'm gonna scour the history. Does seem odd!
    Well good luck with it all. How long until completion - couple of weeks?