Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910
    From the Needles to the Nab, from Cowes to St Catherine's

Default Re: Will Someone Please Talk Me Out Of This Expensive Refit Lunacy?

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    Re speed, interesting to compare actual times for something like the Round the (Southernj Island Race for CO32 versus slightly later generations (Fulamar 32, Elan 333) and modern AWB like a Bavaria 32.
    I don’t have the data so don’t know what the elapsed times would be, but regarding boat speed and impact of longer waterline lengths might be interesting
    This year CO32s took between 9 and 10.5 hours to complete the course
    Elan 333 between 8 and 9 hours
    First 31.7 between 8.5 and 9 hours

Not so good for the Bavaria 34s - around 10.5 hours!

According to the website an Alacrity 18 Fin Keel took 9.5 hours
    Last edited by Little Grebe; 17-10-17 at 10:40.

that's very interesting. forgive my incompetence but how do you look up the type of yacht? i could only see Boat names. Am I being stupid? (wouldn't be the first time..)

Quote Originally Posted by Little Grebe View Post

From the Needles to the Nab, from Cowes to St Catherine's

There is an option to download the results in Excel format.

This has the each boat's class as well as name, then you can filter and analyse the results to our heart's content!

thanks! I sense a lost afternoon approaching...

There is an option to download the results in Excel format.

This has the each boat's class as well as name, then you can filter and analyse the results to our heart's content!

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    Re speed, interesting to compare actual times for something like the Round the (Southernj Island Race for CO32 versus slightly later generations (Fulamar 32, Elan 333) and modern AWB like a Bavaria 32.
    I don’t have the data so don’t know what the elapsed times would be, but regarding boat speed and impact of longer waterline lengths might be interesting
    The RT(S)IR isn't a good guide for relative performance. It's a very tidally dominated race where many of the participants are not experienced racers and are just out for a slightly competitive cruise in company.

If the OP wants to win it he'd be better off with a very well-prepared Contessa 26 with a very good helm and crew. So be the best of the boats that are slow enough to get the optimal tides all of the way round. The Contessa 32 simply isn't quite slow enough.

To be exact, the CO32's rating isn't slow enough!
    When I used to have a smaller boat we used to catch them.
    Not that speed matters that much for a cruising boat.
    Just leave earlier and relax on the way.

What you say is broadly true though seven CO32s finished under 9 hours.

Sigma 33s are 15 mins ish quicker. Elan 333 potentially 30mins and more. The faster 40 footers come in about 7 hours and less

Most of the "super fast modern boats" we read about on here are in reality perfectly unexceptional 9 to 10 hour boats - with the emphasis on the 10.

This is elapsed time

I hate to point this out because I have no time for "fast" boats myself, as a universal discriminator for cruising boats it is hopeless. However facts are facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Aigle d'Or View Post
    I've owned my Contessa 32 for 16 years and absolutely love her. She's taken us safely on many long cruises and my daughters grew up with her. To me, she is the perfect small yacht - fast, seaworthy, safe and beautiful. She's going to be 40 next year and I have found myself planning a major £40k birthday refit. I'm 54 and plan to keep her for as long as I am able to sail her. Re-wire, new rudder, new cabin sole, water tank, teak cockpit, re-spray decks and coachroof, solar power, shore power, partial new galley etc. Surely it's bonkers to spend this amount on a little yacht that's probably only worth £20k? Isn't it? So why am I even considering it? Help!
    Like you, I'm a big fan of the Contessa 32, and for all the same reasons.

If you love your boat and plan to keep her for the long term, an extensive refit allowing you many more years of pleasure from her is not a bad shout.

Mind you, I agree with those posters who have suggested that you look at what's available on the market. There was recently a Co32 for sale in Malta which had had a fortune thrown at it, only for the owner's ill health to force a sale at far less than the amount already spent, IIRC an asking price of £45K.

Alternatively, there was a lovely looking restored S&S Swan 36 called Cécille on Lilley Marine's books for many months at a tad under £60K; all the charms of the Contessa 32 but even more so.

We raced in the RTIR in the same subdivision as the contessa 32 off .941 in a hydro 28v contessa at .943 in ISCthere were 7 in front of us and 19 behind us the first contessa was 20 min in front.The few with laminate sails in good condition were mostly fast despite our 3/4 rig we were faster on the spinnaker legs .As a test of speed there are good comparisons of boat speed when close to other similar boats in same wind but in places 50metres out in stronger tide can easily lose 100yds in a small amount of time.Looking at the results many of posters recommendations do not show up as well as their potential would suggest,perhaps the light winds round Ryde sands had a big effect on this years race with a very narrow strip to get out of the tide.So well sailed those Contessas in front of us but we are 4ft shorter and same vintage,the performance of the MGC27/Contessa 28 is equal to the 32.
    However wether to go ahead and refurbish the Contessa I remember mooring alongside a Westerly Centaur in Weymouth which was heading west and this boat had had the full treatment and I admired this boat for its excellent condition but not a boat I wanted to sail.I would much prefer to sail a contessa 32 but others are higher up the list and I always admire old boats improved to better than new.Having rescued one wreck and enjoyed the experience with the resources available to theOPI would buy a more modern boat and a nonencapsulated keel and spade rudder would not worry me by their absence,it could even be an advantage thinking of the yacht blown ashore at cork remove the mast keel and rudder ,much easier to deal with!!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910