Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Default Re: Why does a 3 yr old boat need to dry out?

Quote Originally Posted by jwilson View Post
    Unless you REALLY want to sail or live aboard in winter I think 3-4 months ashore is a good idea, preferably with a dehumidifier inside.
    The OP is in Windermere. Last winter, the average humidity there was 92-94%. I fail to see how being out of the water can be much better than being in the water!

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    The OP is in Windermere. Last winter, the average humidity there was 92-94%. I fail to see how being out of the water can be much better than being in the water!
    +1.

I found it very enlightening to fit a humidity meter on board. At first I thought it must be faulty but it actually correlates well to the forecast RH. Exceptionally well if you consider it cost me something like €2.99.

Quote Originally Posted by BlowingOldBoots View Post
    Why do you think that?
    Because a dry interior will let at least some of any moisture in the GRP hull pass through and be absorbed. Also it means that you can dry out berth cushions etc and keep the woodwork from getting that "old-boat darkened-streaks-under-varnish" look. A few days on max dehumidification on liftout then set dehumidifier to a mid setting. You don't want to over-dry joinery, but after 10-15 years the difference between a boat that is dried out regularly and one left in the water and never dried will show. It MAY also be less susceptible to "osmosis" on the hull.

Jefa's instructions clearly state that their rudders need to be epoxy coated before antifouling. Most dealers probably don't read instructions.
    I don't doubt that. I'm just pointing out the differences in resin types.
    However, I wonder how many people even know that their rudder is made by Jefa when they buy a new boat, and know (or are told by the dealer) that it needs expoxying. I certainly wasn't.

You don't want to over-dry joinery, but after 10-15 years the difference between a boat that is dried out regularly and one left in the water and never dried will show.
    I wonder how you overdry the joinery. Just seems to be another of these yacht club myths.

I'm lucky if I can get down to 50% RH with two de-humidifiers flat out with all doors closed so that I'm only doing one cabin (or the saloon) at a time.

Drying still takes place at these levels.
    Timber is air dried, outdoors, in Britain down to well below 20% moisture content.
    According to my old woodwork teacher, Harry Log, a one inch board will take I year from green. It starts off seriously wet, does timber.

If you look at Madz’s experience (Sail Life on You Tube) based in Denmark - he had (and still has), his boat out of the water and monitored it ‘drying out’ for over six months - the moisture levels changed not one jot.

He has since used the hot vac method to tackle the boats osmosis issue.

Sometimes memory can play tricks, here is the relevant bit:

Great series of video, the boy has the heart of a lion.

Because a dry interior will let at least some of any moisture in the GRP hull pass through and be absorbed. Also it means that you can dry out berth cushions etc and keep the woodwork from getting that "old-boat darkened-streaks-under-varnish" look. A few days on max dehumidification on liftout then set dehumidifier to a mid setting. You don't want to over-dry joinery, but after 10-15 years the difference between a boat that is dried out regularly and one left in the water and never dried will show. It MAY also be less susceptible to "osmosis" on the hull.
    Why will the interior of a boat be dryer ashore than it is afloat (unless in a shed ashore)?
    And just because a boat is wintering afloat, it doesn’t mean that the owner can’t take the berth cushions ashore to store at home. Our previous boat spent nearly 10years afloat all year round with no issues, and enjoyed day sailing through the winter with the interior cushions stripped out.

Can somebody please explain slowly and carefully why this only seems to be a matter of concern for the yachting fraternity.
    In 50 years of boating have never once considered removing a motor boat from the water to let it "dry out".
    Have bought and sold loads of boats and never once when selling has a surveyer commented on any osmosis problem .
    We have over 100 boats ranging from ultra modern gin palaces to ancient stuff well past its sink by date, on our tidal moorings, any suggestion of removing any boat for drying out would result in puzzled looks and bewilderment.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345