Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Why does a 3 yr old boat need to dry out?

I have had my boat, a Beneteau 31, from new and it is now 3 years old. I am advised by the dealer that it is good practice to have it lifted out to allow the boat to dry out in the yard over a period of several months. Can anyone enlighten me on this advice and what is there to "dry out" PS the boat is in freshwater.

Default Re: Why does a 3 yr old boat need to dry out?

Is that Maiden Marine? maybe they're looking for a bit of extra. There's boats been on Windermere years without a lift out. Maybe it's something new.

Very odd, I am looking to keep mine in the water for the next few winters.
    Cynical Scots engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Very odd, I am looking to keep mine in the water for the next few winters.
    I have a 38 year old boat and it's been in the water most winters.

Possibly/probably something to do with preventing osmosis, but with good quality lay-up of the GRP it should be a non-issue. It used to be thought that boats in fresh water were more susceptible, even to the extent that ones berthed in Kip Marina on the Clyde (which had a small river running through it) were more likely to get osmosis than those in others.
    Maybe the dealer doesn't have much faith in the boats he sells! Why not ask him?
    #WeAreScotland
    A1

Sounds like complete nonsense to me. Is the person advising this connected with a yard by any chance?
    Osmosis will not affect your boat, modern resins do not suffer from it and there is nothing else on it to absorb water. In any case leaving a boat with osmosis out of the water has minimal if any effect even in a hot climate, it needs to be dried out with hest and vacuum.

Ignore him!

Quote Originally Posted by sealegsjim View Post
    I have had my boat, a Beneteau 31, from new and it is now 3 years old. I am advised by the dealer that it is good practice to have it lifted out to allow the boat to dry out in the yard over a period of several months. Can anyone enlighten me on this advice and what is there to "dry out" PS the boat is in freshwater.

There was an article in Yachting Monthly about 12-18 months ago by a surveyor who said he was seeing an increasing number of newer boats with signs of high moisture content and osmosis.
    One of the possible explanations, he suggested, was the practice of regularly leaving boats afloat for most of the year.

I wouldn't have thought it is anything to panic about in the short term but something to bear in mind.

Someone will remember the article, or may still have the magazine.

Maybe he is concerned about rudder osmosis however while this is a problem in boats of a 2000 vintage (as any boatyard visit to those drying out in winter will show) I would have thought a newer one might not suffer same problems. The time indicated seems excessive if by "several" this means more than say 3 months . I would suggest it wise to consider risks of being ashore compared to remaining afloat in terms of possible damage etc . You don't say what your arrangements are in water but if you are on a secure marina berth you have paid for that might be a safer location than in some dirty yard exposed to weather and other factors. Clearly if on a buoy the advice might be prudent though given risks of the dragging in winter . I have a 2 year old boat berthed at Gosport so not freshwater and don't propose to lift out over winter even though some do for a couple of months at Gosport BY or wherever.

Quote Originally Posted by sealegsjim View Post
    They're talking shite. My boat is now 15 and has never been out for more than a week. A boat won't "dry out" on a hard anyway, unless you leave it for a whole summer, and even then it won't really without a dehumidifer inside and some heat lamps pointed at it.

My old raft has been on Windermere on a swinging mooring for around 7 to 8 years now without any lift outs, in fact when the water is reasonable I can still see the red keel etc and there is no osmosis. Sounds like new boats are to be avoided if they need fannying around with like that.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast