Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Useful life of an engine?

Here is the serial plate from a MAN engine which seems to state that the useful life of the engine is 5000hrs/10yrs

First time I've seen anything like this. Anyone care to guess what it actually means? Is it 5000hrs or 10yrs or 5000hrs and 10yrs (the latter perhaps being more understandable I suppose)

Default Re: Useful life of an engine?

I think it means the useful life of the emissions certification is 5000 hours or 10 years,and after that the engine cannot be guaranteed to meet its certified emissions.

I dont think it means the engine itself is not expected to last longer than 5000 hours or 10 years

I had something similar on my D9s. I believe the "useful life" refers to the time/hours that the manufacturer expects the engine to still comply with the relevant emissions regulation. After that time/hours if it was retested it may not pass the relevant emissions test.
    Interesting its 5000 hours on the MAN. It was 1000 hours on the volvo.

Quote Originally Posted by julians View Post
    I think it means the useful life of the emissions certification is 5000 hours or 10 years,and after that the engine cannot be guaranteed to meet its certified emissions...............
    Let us add....

"unless re-built to factory spec",......... in which case you will have another expected 5K hours ...
    Regards, Alf

I've stopped drinking water .... I have seen what it does to the bottom of our boat!

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."

Eek,

23 years and 2,000 hours.
    1994 Ferretti 150 'Seralia'

Page 9 —- here , not a tier 2 variant btw
    https://marinedieselbasics.com/wp-co...LE-301-403.pdf

I,am not sure , look @ your owners hand book it should have an explanation what each number is on the makers plate .
    Obviously like to think it’s reffering to the tier 2 stuff , not the thing in its entirety .
    But ambiguity seems to run through En MAN. Literature .

Quote Originally Posted by julians View Post
    I think it means the useful life of the emissions certification is 5000 hours or 10 years,and after that the engine cannot be guaranteed to meet its certified emissions.
    Thanks. Didnt know that and its not something I've seen on industrial diesel engines. However not being able to meet emissions standards implies that the engine has deteriorated so what sort of deterioration are we talking about? Piston rings? Injectors? Fuel pump? Or worse?

Seem to recall reading somewhere 10,000. hours on a Perkins M135.

Im no expert,but im guessing its something to do with this below, and i think the useful life period is decided by the us government based on some sort of average use of the engine. It might well have no actual bearing on the wear of the engine at all.

This below seems to relate to road going engines,but i guess the principle is the same for marine stuff.

http://www.transportpolicy.net/stand...uty-emissions/

Id guess its in the manufacturers interest to try and get as low a useful life figure as possible.
    Last edited by julians; 16-10-17 at 19:41.

This is epa. It should be complient for this number of hours. Next step is 10 or 20 000 h. Epa demand a endurance test to document the emissions deviation a sertain persentage of useful life. So the engine maker needs to run an engine and measure emissions to see the drift. On a common rail it must be a nightmare. At least im told so by people doing this tests.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast