Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IPS 500

Default IPS 500

I'd be interested to know what the typical service costs are for IPS 500. Am I right in thinking that only Volvo approved agents can service the drives?
    Could any IPS 500 owners care to share their experience with maintenance costs and general reliability? I'm potentially looking at a 7 year old boat with IPS 500's.
    Thank you.

Default Re: IPS 500

I am in the process of buying a boat with IPS 600 D6 & have a quote to service both engines & both drives of £2037.73 inc vat. I understand from my engineer who looks after many such boats that IPS is as good as any other, but MUST be serviced properly. Failure to do so & problems can be costly. My experience in the automotive sector leads me to use main agents on anything I own, independents don't tend to be up to date with software & recalls etc. There are two campaigns outstanding for air flaps to be changed under warranty on the new boat for example.
    Last edited by rubberduck; 17-10-17 at 08:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Switch View Post
    I'd be interested to know what the typical service costs are for IPS 500. Am I right in thinking that only Volvo approved agents can service the drives?
    Could any IPS 500 owners care to share their experience with maintenance costs and general reliability? I'm potentially looking at a 7 year old boat with IPS 500's.
    Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by rubberduck View Post
    I am in the process of buying a boat with IPS 600 D6 & have a quote to service both engines & both drives of £2037.73 inc vat. I understand from my engineer who looks after many such boats that IPS is as good as any other, but MUST be serviced properly. Fail to do so & problems can be costly.
    I've previously had 2 IPS 600 boats, which in essence is the same as an IPS 500. Costs were slightly higher but I seem to remember having the engines serviced whist in the water but getting the drives done on a separate visit a month or so later when the boat was lifted. I think VP only recommend a couple of oil changed are carried out with he boat in the water as not all the drive oil can be removed by pumping out.

7 year old IPS drives could be fine, but could be a disaster in waiting. I personally wouldn't take the risk with IPS anymore (and I didn't have any issues with mine), just the thought of what can go wrong puts me well off.
    Last edited by Sishoe; 17-10-17 at 08:35.

off topic, sorry, but saw an IPS powered boat mooring up the other day, the most notable thing was how violently it was rocking side to side, it was the strangest thing to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Switch View Post
    Thank you.
    Talk to me Terry

Quote Originally Posted by rubberduck View Post
    I am in the process of buying a boat with IPS 600 D6 & have a quote to service both engines & both drives of £2037.73 inc vat. I understand from my engineer who looks after many such boats that IPS is as good as any other, but MUST be serviced properly. Failure to do so & problems can be costly. My experience in the automotive sector leads me to use main agents on anything I own, independents don't tend to be up to date with software & recalls etc. There are two campaigns outstanding for air flaps to be changed under warranty on the new boat for example.
    That wouldn't be for a full service , I heard someone in recent months spent a small fortune on an IPS service to have both drives removed to change the seals , I'd get a quote from a dealer stating exactly what you get for your money .
    The oil alone to change both drive units is over £500 .

Quote Originally Posted by Sishoe View Post
    I've previously had 2 IPS 600 boats, which in essence is the same as an IPS 500. Costs were slightly higher but I seem to remember having the engines serviced whist in the water but getting the drives done on a separate visit a month or so later when the boat was lifted. I think VP only recommend a couple of oil changed are carried out with he boat in the water as not all the drive oil can be removed by pumping out.

7 year old IPS drives could be fine, but could be a disaster in waiting. I personally wouldn't take the risk with IPS anymore (and I didn't have any issues with mine), just the thought of what can go wrong puts me well off.
    You can only suck out a small amount of oil , to do this properly the boat must be out the water, you need to change the anodes anyway, the alloy ones don't last very long and are a must change every 12 months .

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly625 View Post
    off topic, sorry, but saw an IPS powered boat mooring up the other day, the most notable thing was how violently it was rocking side to side, it was the strangest thing to watch.
    I'd agree but there are 2 speed settings , he may have had it on the higher setting .

Quote Originally Posted by volvopaul View Post
    That wouldn't be for a full service , I heard someone in recent months spent a small fortune on an IPS service to have both drives removed to change the seals , I'd get a quote from a dealer stating exactly what you get for your money .
    The oil alone to change both drive units is over £500 .
    Got it in writing, but will check. One of the drives is corroded & being replaced by Boats.co.uk before we get her, I was wondering whether it would be worth me paying to replace the other one at the same time, for complete piece of mind, what do you think? Will be getting all belts, hoses, impellers etc. changed anyway, Also cooling systems removed & cleaned along with any other "prone to age" items. On sea trial she did 37.5 knts & all numbers, temp, revs etc were good. IPS handles superbly as well.
    I will get shot if it lets us down with Nicky on board ! I have been told no need as the other drive is fine, just 6 years in salt water.
    This one will live on the Isle of wight so feel free to come & have a look / quote to look after, we have heard good things about you. Presumably you can access updates etc. unlike many I could name in the car, van, truck industries.
    Last edited by rubberduck; 17-10-17 at 17:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly625 View Post
    I saw one in Ibiza - not quite rocking but the wash form the props to turn it was a sight to behold!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast