Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Riveting question

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit (of Glenans) View Post
    I'm really impressed by the hands-on and material help that is available from this forum to those who are in locations near said help!

I am new around here, based in Southampton, with a very well equipped workshop complex. We build vehicles for film and TV and expedition vehicles. We do some boat stuff too here and there. Very happy to lend tools etc to locals. Is there some section on the forum that does this. If not it might be an idea. I noticed someone was selling beaching legs the other day, it might be worth if people have stuff like that hanging about, having a section of tools and equipment to borrow. yes I know there are a thousand potential pitfalls but some of us still have faith in human nature - and precautions can be taken.

Rivets must be drilled and spaced extremely carefully. So I'd suggest that you not drill all the holes before time. This is because when you put in the first rivet, the object will move slightly. So I'd suggest that you drill and rivet one hole; then drill and rivet the next hole; and then the next, etc, one at a time until the object is secure.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Muse View Post
    Rivets must be drilled and spaced extremely carefully. So I'd suggest that you not drill all the holes before time. This is because when you put in the first rivet, the object will move slightly. So I'd suggest that you drill and rivet one hole; then drill and rivet the next hole; and then the next, etc, one at a time until the object is secure.
    If you use Duralac, or similar, which you should, that method would get you into a right old mess, with trapped cuttings, and gloop all over the place. Provided that you use the correct size drill to fit the rivet size, all you need do is drill, put in a rivet as a dowel, then drill the next hole, again use a rivet as a dowel, and so on until you have a rivet placed in each hole Then take the fitting off and apply the Duralac. Then put it all back together with a rivet in each hole. Only then start actual riveting.

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    If you use Duralac, or similar, which you should, that method would get you into a right old mess, with trapped cuttings, and gloop all over the place. Provided that you use the correct size drill to fit the rivet size, all you need do is drill, put in a rivet as a dowel, then drill the next hole, again use a rivet as a dowel, and so on until you have a rivet placed in each hole Then take the fitting off and apply the Duralac. Then put it all back together with a rivet in each hole. Only then start actual riveting.
    Agree with all of this just one thing to add once all holes drilled pull rivets up on opp sides rather then all one side or you may find the fitting will not pull down properly.
    Email bryer2004@hotmail.com
    cbrigging.co.uk Craig Bond 07894507812

if you want some skinpins to use to hold it all fast instead of rivets, I can post you some - as long as you are willing to post them back. They work like a temporary rivet you push through and screw a small knurled plastic section to fix. We use them for fixing aluminium panels and brackets to tube on spaceframes. Your job is pretty much identical

Provided that you use the correct size drill to fit the rivet size, all you need do is drill, put in a rivet as a dowel, then drill the next hole, again use a rivet as a dowel, and so on until you have a rivet placed in each hole
    I'll agree with you on this. I will caution that in my experience actually tightening down the rivet will cause movement more than just having a lose rivet in place. So on something very long with multiple rivets, like a spinnaker pole track, there can still be movement.

If "6mm" rivets are actually 1/4 inch, which is 6.35mm, then a 6.5mm drill is actually oversize, so use a 1/4 inch drill. Easily obtainable. All drills will actually cut very slightly oversize unless a pilot drill is used first then the hole drilled slightly undersize before the final drill removes very little metal. All that is unnecessary if you just use the 1/4 inch drill as the very slightly oversized hole it will make will provide the small amount of clearance needed.
    Working on immortality - One day at a time.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm now waiting on the mast hound to arrive. Once it does I will put this all into practice. (shame I don't live near any of you )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12