Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Gtechniq nano coating - six months on

I've been a fan of Gtechniq for a long time now. The boat is carefully machine mopped every year before the final sealant gets applied with a small pad and the results are black marks which wipe off with a finger. The trick is surface prep before the top coat goes on and that means more than just a quick flash over with a coarse mopping compound.

Henry

My prepping consisted of the following:

- the boat washed when the boat was lifted (don't know which chemical they used, but it was pretty strong to remove most of the black streaks)
    - before starting the actual process I wiped the whole boat with a damp cloth again to remove dust, etc. (in the shed, some months after the lift out)
    - I went through the whole boat with 3M Extra Fine Compound to remove all the stubborn streaks, etc.
    - I then wiped the whole boat with Gtechniq's Panel Wipe, which they recommended for removing the residues from the previous step
    - at this point, the surface looked very smooth and clean
    - I then applied the Crystal Serum followed by the EXO using small make up remover pads

Is there something you do/would do differently? I'm curious as I genuinely want to understand if I missed something.
    Last edited by scubaman; 20-10-17 at 13:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Whopper View Post
    While not a ceramic coating product, I've used carpro hydra2 on my car to great effect. Just spray it on a wet surface post washing and then agitate it with the hose again. It leaves a very hydrophobic surface and helps "protect" wax etc applied be underneath. Haven't used it on the boat but I'd expect the same good results. Probably similiar to the 'fast product' discussed above.
    I use a similar product on my car, one point to follow very carefully.........never use in sun light, it's a bitch to polish out the streaks when it drys.

Quote Originally Posted by scubaman View Post
    My prepping consisted of the following:

- the boat washed when the boat was lifted (don't know which chemical they used, but it was pretty strong to remove most of the black streaks)
    - before starting the actual process I wiped the whole boat with a damp cloth again to remove dust, etc. (in the shed, some months after the lift out)
    - I went through the whole boat with 3M Extra Fine Compound to remove all the stubborn streaks, etc.
    - I then wiped the whole boat with Gtechniq's Panel Wipe, which they recommended for removing the residues from the previous step
    - at this point, the surface looked very smooth and clean
    - I then applied the Crystal Serum followed by the EXO using small make up remover pads

Is there something you do/would do differently? I'm curious as I genuinely want to understand if I missed something.
    Very difficult to say what prep was required, gel coat is truly demanding and every boat is in a different stage that requires different prep. You've prepped well that's for certain, so I know you weren't just slapping it on and expecting perfect results.
    Dare I say, you've done more than most owners would normally do and your knowledge is better than most. I remember your application and prep thread, but pictures of shiny doesn't tell the whole story, not knocking you, just trying to help move things on from the very good work you've already done.

If you can't simply wipe away black streaks with a finger, or have to resort to aggresive chemicals such as black streak remover, this could be an indication of the surface condition prior to application, the maintenance washing techniques or even the actual application methods used.

The products (any) are not guaranteed to gain perfect results. It is like expecting to paint a perfect Mona Lisa just by having oil paints, a brush and some canvas.
    There is what you know, what you don't know and what you don't know that you don't know!

The reality is that it takes more knowledge, skill, attention to detail and time than most imagine. In a world of being oversold, it is very rare for someone to pay for, or learn the stages that perfection demands.
    I've been told many, many times "It only costs £5 etc per ft in my yard to mop and polish, can you beat that?" My reply is always "they must know something I dont, because I cant work for a month for a few hundred quid.

I'm over 30 years into trying to master the ideal protection scenario, almost an un-healthy obsession and can tell you with no doubt, that the more perfect the surface condition, the easier the surfaces are going to be to maintain, regardless of which product you use.
    Gtechniq are certainly well respected products, you are using what works and I know just how frustrating it is, but again, learning all the elements of how the variables fit together is not as easy as it seems. Note - I am still very much learning this complex subject.
    If one thinks they understand it because they have created a shine out of a dull surface, they are at the start.

There are a few things to consider if writing about it on a postage stamp:

1, Once a gelcoat has been oxidised to a certain degree, it is going to be more prone to oxidation in the future. This does not mean that you can't gain a shine, or that it won't be protected for any length of time, just that the gelcoat at the molecular level would have been compromised and the cycle going back from shiny to dull would be shortened more than if it had never been oxidised in the past. This is why it is so important to protect from new and follow a safe wash and protection program. Prevention is much better than correction.

2, The fact that black streaks are not easily removed is a sign that the gelcoat (although shiny) was not perfectly flat and uniformed. It would have highs and lows at a microscopic level to sit in. Chemicals can access them, but it won't correct them. Harsh chemicals and a brush in the wrong hands will create them! At this point the 3M Extra fine compound is not aggressive enough to level them without hours and hours in the same square ft. You would have needed to go back a few stages to perhaps Imperial on a white pad, then follow on the stages up to perhaps Finnesse it final and then the Extra fine, of course changing pad fibre softness as you go and keeping them clean, not overloaded.

3, The problem with starting with a finish (when more is needed) is that it can 'look' finished through oils and fillers, but in reality it is in the same position underneath. There is a way to determine this; wipe the surface with acetone to remove all traces of everything sat on and within the surface, now take a strong torch / lamp and shine it directly on the surface pointing back at your eyeline. Wear good shades and perhaps do this at night, you will highlight every flaw in the surface.
    With this technique, light will travel along the tiniest of flaws - swirls, very, very light scratches and so on, all of which detract the surface's overall clarity and reflection. In short, they are the microscopic highs and lows. Much is at play at the microscopic level. The highs and lows are the roads which sunlight travels along the surface, the longer the road, the more exposure to damage.

4, Wash the boat yourself. Never ever pay for a wash as part of a lift unless it is pressure washing below the waterline.
    Lifting a boat is a skill, washing a boat is a skill.
    I have never seen a wash performed by a yard hand that has utilised a safe wash down method.

Lastly, practice perfection on one square ft. Get this area right before letting yourself loose on the vast landscape, you will save a ton of learning time. And.... don't beat yourself up or be disappointed with what you've done so far, she looked really good on the last thread and you should be proud with what you've acheived as I'm sure you are.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Marine Reflections View Post
    I'm over 30 years into trying to master the ideal protection scenario, almost an un-healthy obsession and...
    [...]
    I am still very much learning this complex subject.
    Thanks Tony for sharing your experience.
    I had some doubts about whether it's worth trying to make the gelcoat of the 13yo boat I bought this summer as shiny as it was, and you just blew them away.
    What's wrong with somewhat opaque gelcoat, after all...?

Thank you Tony for the very informative post! Information increases the pain, is a saying here .

Everything you say makes sense to me. Given that I'm only willing to invest a certain amount of hours into the surface, my thinking is that I would be best off by going the surface over twice with 3M compounds and then use a spray on coating mentioned above? And accept that I will fall short form a perfect result. Even this will take me maybe 25-30 hours just for the superstructure. Compromises, compromises...

During the season I used Autoglym's car shampoo (green label) and a car wash mitten. This seemed a very unaggressive approach as in fact rubbing with a finger removed some of the streaks that were left from the wash. But a bit remained and the grime accumulated...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12