Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Fresh water filtering and softening - suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    A watermaker produces excellent quality water, very soft and very drinkable. However the problem is the cost of fitting one and the output it gives. I retrofitted a 130 lpm Idromar watermaker into my boat 2 seasons ago and it cost me €10k. The trouble is that even at max output it would take 8hrs to fill my water tank. The other issue is that any watermaker needs relatively clean seawater so making water whilst moored in a marina is not advisable. I just use mine as an emergency back up to make a couple of hundred litres when I run out of water after a few days at anchor
    Spot Zero is the RO solution for dock water and can produce about 400 l/h.

Quote Originally Posted by rubberduck View Post
    So no good in St Kats for the winter then, does it not filter out the impurities ?
    It does but oil contamination in the water may damage the membranes

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    any watermaker needs relatively clean seawater so making water whilst moored in a marina is not advisable
    Funny that you should say that M, because one of the boats in my short list was already equipped with a watermaker, and if she would have been my final choice, I was already thinking to use it mostly when docked, to refill the tank.
    In fact, as you surely remember, the water inside CF harbor is just as nice as outside (bar some floating bits occasionally, depending on the wind direction). But that's of course rather an exception than the norm.
    Ref. oil contamination, isn't it sufficient to suck water from well under the w/line, as normally happens with any seacock?

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Funny that you should say that M, because one of the boats in my short list was already equipped with a watermaker, and if she would have been my final choice, I was already thinking to use it mostly when docked, to refill the tank.
    In fact, as you surely remember, the water inside CF harbor is just as nice as outside (bar some floating bits occasionally, depending on the wind direction). But that's of course rather an exception than the norm.
    Ref. oil contamination, isn't it sufficient to suck water from well under the w/line, as normally happens with any seacock?
    When I had my water maker recommissioned in the summer, the agent was most insistent that we took the boat out to do this rather than use the water in the marine. I was thinking just like you, that the water in the marina was pretty clean and any small amount of oil would be on the surface and not by the intake seacock which is just fwd of the port engine. I didn't get any further info!

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    I'm only repeating what I've been told. Youre taking a chance using a watermaker where there is the risk of oil contaminants, especially when an emulsifier has been used to disperse the oil and thus create a suspension in the water. Yes I'd quite happily use a watermaker in CF but not in Antibes, particularly since I'm convinced that some people empty their holding tanks in the marina as well

Aha, understood, thanks markc & mikef.
    'twas just out of curiosity anyway, since the DP didn't have a watermaker and I'm not planning to install it.
    One less thing to worry about!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234