Thread: Penton Hook

Default Penton Hook

Hi Every one,

This is my fist post on the Thames forum. I'm usually found on the motor boat forum. I'm thinking of buying a boat which is currently located in Penton Hook. If the purchase goes ahead I'd like to sail her back to my home port in the Solent. I'd like to know how long it would take to motor from PH to St. Katherins dock? I've made the journey to the Solent from St Kats but the Thames going west from there is a mystery to me.
    I'm pretty sure that certain locks are closed or will be closed which may scupper my plans until the new year which frankly may mean sailing back is a non starter. In that case does anybody know how much it would cost to take her by road (42ft boat).
    Thank you for any advice about making the trip either by sail or by road.

Default Re: Penton Hook

SWMBO thinks it was about 4 hours when we did it last.
    Hammersmith bridge may need planning re height & depth.

http://www.pla.co.uk/Safety/Thames-Bridges-Heights
    Last edited by rubberduck; 22-10-17 at 18:18.

Hi Switch,

You're probably looking at 3 to 4 hours to Teddington, and then generally another 3 from there to St Kats, tide dependant (and if you want to punch at 8/12 knots or cruise more gently). I can check on the timings against my records if you'd like.

Molesey lock (Hampton Court) is closed from 30th Oct to 1st Jan, so looks like it's a New Year trip by water. Check the Winter Works thread in this forum for more details. Plenty on here should be able to advise road transport options. Good luck if you go ahead!

Plan that Teddington exit with bit of care, come out as soon as you can to get under Hammersmith and get to St Kats pref before or around high water.Remember lack of daylight as well.If leaving Teddington in the dark, precious little to guide you until after dawn.
    Your progress could be hindered by rowers out at some ungodly hours in the early mornings,esp. at weekend.
    attempts to get a Turbo 36 out of Penton was delayed for several weeks due to floods upriver last year . rubbish winds in esturary and or a combination of both.
    Has the boat been on the Thames long ?.
    My big worry would be rubbish in the tank getting disturbed by choppy waves and engine problems either in central London or worse in Sea Reach.
    As you already know, would want a very sound boat indeed to be transiting North Foreland/Beachy Head and Dungeness in winter. !
    Worth considering a truck at around 1K ?
    A decent sized boat will cost more than in fuel and overnight stops, plus the lockies will get you for river licence and 80.00 in St Kats.
    Last edited by oldgit; 23-10-17 at 06:56.

Also, remember the Draw Off between Teddington and Richmond will also complicate timings.... https://www.pla.co.uk/assets/m51of20...thnovember.pdf

Hi Switch,

I paid 900 incl VAT in April 2014 to have a Broom 42cl transported from Penton Hook to Shamrock Quay with Boat Transport Ltd. Plus lifts either end. Hope that gives you a rough idea of the road cost.

Quote Originally Posted by jct1981 View Post
    Hi Switch,

You're probably looking at 3 to 4 hours to Teddington, and then generally another 3 from there to St Kats, tide dependant (and if you want to punch at 8/12 knots or cruise more gently). I can check on the timings against my records if you'd like.

Molesey lock (Hampton Court) is closed from 30th Oct to 1st Jan, so looks like it's a New Year trip by water. Check the Winter Works thread in this forum for more details. Plenty on here should be able to advise road transport options. Good luck if you go ahead!
    Yes, thinking about it those timings seem closer to the mark, think Nicky was thinking Teddington, my memory is shot at the moment, to many blood transfusions probably.

Penton to Tedders could take that long. Is it a planing hull though!?

Looks like that with the new closure dates for Molesey lock you can get through anytime until January. Keep an eye on the draw off however, as above.