Default Re a subscription to PBO

I receive the PBO newsletter, and a few days ago they had details of a one day only sale for subscriptions, so I went to have a look.

For the UK, the rate per year was GBP 25.04 for an I-Pad (save 59%) and GBP 31.25 for a print subscription (save 50%)
    The rate now (after this sale ended) is GBP 35.49 and GBP 41.49 respectively.

For my country of residence (Barbados) the sale price was GBP 47.40 for an I-Pad (save 60%) and GBP 59.25 for a print subscription (save 50%).
    The rate now is GBP 68.49 and GBP 80.49 respectively.

I can see why a print sub has to be more expensive - postage is not cheap - but I am baffled as to why I should pay almost twice as much (when compared to somebody in the UK) for an I-Pad subscription.

Surely the cost of emailing a pdf (or however they allow you to access the electronic copy) is the same regardless of if you live in Twickenham or Timbuctu?
    Here is a useful guide to Barbados - http://www.doyleguides.com/barbados/

Default Re: Re a subscription to PBO

Good point! Awaiting a reply from Time Inc. with interest
    Donald

Sail on the Medway, Kent from Chatham Maritime Marina

If looking for a digital magazine, then check out gb.readly.com. You will get several thousand magazines including a number of boating magazines including PBO, Yachting Monthly, Yachting World, Yachts and Yachting, Super Yacht Business, Super Yacht World, Motor Boats, Canal Boating Times, Canal Boat, Narrow Boat and Sailing Today.

You can use a mobile phone, tablet or computer to access the service. Up to 5 devices can be connected at the same time on the same account. Magazines can also be downloaded for later reading when without internet access. You can also access old issues as well.

The best bit is the cost of £7.99 per month and can be cancelled at any time. There is a free trial period at present.
    If my foresight was as good as my hindsight, I would be a multi-millionaire.

Been there. Just done that.....

If you check out your local library, you may well find that you can download both PBO and YM completely free (and have offline access). I also believe that these days you can join any English library you wish...not just the one in the area you live. (used the term 'English' rather than 'UK' because don't know if this applies cross-border )

Quote Originally Posted by VicMallows View Post
    If you check out your local library, you may well find that you can download both PBO and YM completely free (and have offline access). I also believe that these days you can join any English library you wish...not just the one in the area you live. (used the term 'English' rather than 'UK' because don't know if this applies cross-border )
    Don't want to come across negative but:

1. He is in Barbados. I'm suspecting the bus fair to an English Library may make the journey a little uneconomical.

2. Time are clearly struggling. Because we don't buy enough copies. So while I love the libraries, and they also struggle I need to understand who is winning and who is loosing here.

Quote Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
    If looking for a digital magazine, then check out gb.readly.com. You will get several thousand magazines including a number of boating magazines including PBO, Yachting Monthly, Yachting World, Yachts and Yachting, Super Yacht Business, Super Yacht World, Motor Boats, Canal Boating Times, Canal Boat, Narrow Boat and Sailing Today.

The best bit is the cost of £7.99 per month and can be cancelled at any time. There is a free trial period at present.
    At least I can see someone is winning. Although how that "profit" is divided up also confuses me. If you ready all 11 of those does time get ?60p per mag that is theirs?

The only logic I can think of for Bermuda being higher are:
    - Different taxation?
    - Advertisers are not targeting Bermuda and Adverts from UK chandlers are not being used to subsidise the issue?

Not defending anything here. Just speculating.

Thank you Concerto for the link to https://gb.readly.com/ - I can see that for an avid electronic reader it would be good value, but if you only want to get one magazine (and even then I know I would always forget to read it) it is a lot more than the recent sale price of 25 quid a year for PBO.
    I am still baffled though as to why an electronic sub should be almost twice as much for Barbados as it is for somewhere like Bognor. If I get an electronic sub to eg the Times or the Telegraph, I am sure that they do not discriminate as to where in the world you are.
    There again, I didn't actually look up the rate for PBO in Timbuctu - it is probably double again, being so far out in the boonies.....
    Here is a useful guide to Barbados - http://www.doyleguides.com/barbados/

Pricing doesn't have to make sense, or be fair.
    Price is determined by what people are willing to pay.
    e.g printer companies sell printers that are regionalised. This means the cheap cartridges you buy on holiday in the USA wont work when you stick them in you printer at home.
    The only reason for this is that the makers know that people will pay more in UK /Europe than they will in the USA.
    Capitalism at work!

As for the OP, in light of the above, maybe their algorithms tell them that ex pats in Barbados will pay more than the spoiled for choice "stay at homes."
    Aiming to live forever or die in the attempt!