Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Window leak- running repair needed

If Tolley's doesn't work, it's best to seal leaks on the outside. CT1 is recommended as it can be used in the wet (allegedly). Examine carefully to identify where the rain is getting in, rake out the seal and apply new sealant. This is a temporary fix only and the whole window should be removed and re-sealed before more leaks occur.

Although not really in the same field, a good Aquatics shop will sell a repair sealant that can even be used under-water (for repairing leaky fish tanks). If you are concerned about being able to keep the area dry enough while doing your temporary repair this could be worth a go.

YouTube video solution, from about 13 mins in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpXTtmHZ8Dc

CT1 is my suggestion. Far beyond working in the wet the stuff is said to adhere as normal even under water! Amazing stuff but it doesn't come off fingers easily or fabric at all (acetone works). Hardens to a rubber like consistencey and is easily cut, sanded and painted. Sticks like the procerbial. Can be removed when cured but you really have to try.

The following worked for me. It does stick like sh-t.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/evo-stik-...-t-290ml/22070
    Does anyone find it ironic how a program aimed at old people is called 'Countdown'?

we had every window leaking when we first got our Moody. We used sabatack to sort it out and have no leaks since.

https://mariadz.com/2013/09/06/i-can...-at-my-window/
    Two people, two cats, one dream
    http://www.Mariadz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    Can some one advise if Cap'n Tolleys compromises the later use of other sealants in the way that silicone sealants do?
    If not I would try it on a tiny intermittent but very annoying wee drip.
    No! Cap'n Trolleys is an "Aqueous Acrylic Copolymer Dispersion" i.e. Acrylic dispersed in water which when dry forms the Acrylic seal. If you are "tight" you could use thinned PVA wood glue which, from personal experience, works along the same lines as CTs product though perhaps lacking longevity.. Both are easily removed later if you want to do make a permanent repair
    xxx Jules

Quote Originally Posted by armchairsailor View Post
    Anyone got a recommendation for window sealant that can be used on the water? The boat is on the water and one of the windows has developed a leak. Itís bolted in from behind, securing by bolts which go through the coach roof, so I would have to form a gasket like seal. Attachment 66916
    I took my windows out and resealed them while the boat was on the water. I used arbormast to rebed them and not had a leak since. I found taking a window out cleaning it, and re bedding was easily achieved in an afternoon. Servicing my bilge pump has turned out to be a much bigger job.....

We have had success with good old vaseline - on the outside. Indeed, we went a season with a leak stopped this way. It quickly looks dirty though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12