Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Albin Vega on the Bristol Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Ballad View Post
    Fifer, it sounds like we have very similar mindsets. Similar age, sailing ambitions and landlocked. I'm in Shrewsbury but work near Wolverhampton, I sail from Newport Uskmouth Sailing Club, so I'm use to the boat commute.

Just a few thoughts... driving into Cardiff the few times I have, has been a right pain in the backside (40 mins to do 10 miles from Newport on the M4), it's just stop start city traffic once you get off the motorway which I hate (I much prefer sailing to it, it's an awesome place). NUSC is very quick to get to from the M4 (or M50) and its only 2 - 2 1/2 hour sail down to Cardiff, I've sailed it many times this year and enjoyed a cold beer at Mermaid Quay on arrival.

Cardiff is great as you're floating all the time so you don't need to plan so much which weekends you can sail, Newport you have to think when you can get out, 2 1/2 hours either side of HW so a 5 hour window. It's worked well for me, you just have to look at the calender and tide times. A day sail I drive down in the morning have a sail over lunch for 3-4 hours and drive back in the evening. If I'm having a weekend I tend to pick a morning tide and drive down after work on the Friday and head off on the Saturday morning, then I can get back to Newport on the Sunday evening tide. The plus for me is the boat sits in the mud for 12 hours a day so I don't have to worry so much about the boat if it's blowing a gale and the tides out and when it's in it's very sheltered. The members are great and I've learnt a lot from them, they keep an eye on the boat as well which is nice being so far away.

CYC is a great club though, I've been on the visitors pontoon a couple of times this year and they've been very welcoming and the clubhouse and bar is fantastic, I can certainly see the appeal. I'm not sure where abouts you are but Holyhead might be a good place to look at if you're thinking of Ireland, not sure if the drive would be any easier?

If you want to have a look at NUSC let me know and we can arrange a drive down one day from the Midlands. I can show you the club and the Vega's big brother. I'm really happy I decided on Newport, it's a fantastic club and very secure. Give me a message if you want to know more.

Where's the Vega you've seen btw?
    Thats some really good points. Hopefully the traffic into Cardiff on a Friday night after work might not be too bad, as keeping the boat floating is quite a strong pull. I'm not sure I'll have time to visit Newport but its a very generous offer. Maybe once I'm sorted we can arrange a sail?

I had considered Holyhead as well but Its the same kind of drive (~3hrs), and lacks the same kind of club vibe possible (and is a little more expensive). Cardiff seems like a good compromise to get myself up and running for a 2-3 years, and then we'll see where we are after that.

I've paid the deposit on the Vega now (which is in cumbria), so will try and move it down in a quiet weather spell in the next couple of months. After that I'll be good to go!

Yea, I imagine the traffic should be better in the evenings, I don't think you'll be disappointed with Cardiff one bit.

Great news on the Vega, get some pics up if you have some.

PS, if you need crew for the way down give a shout, I might be up for a leg of winter sailing... already getting the winter blues..
    Tom, Sundance
    2wheels1keel.com

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Ballad View Post
    driving into Cardiff the few times I have, has been a right pain in the backside (40 mins to do 10 miles from Newport on the M4), it's just stop start city traffic once you get off the motorway which I hate (I much prefer sailing to it, it's an awesome place).
    There's not much to be done for the M4 around Newport, except check the route on Google Maps and divert around it if Google suggests it's quicker.

We never go through the city anymore to get to Penarth though, or it is, as you describe, stop start all the way through. We always drive past and get off at Junction 33. Only adds a theoretical couple of minutes to the journey, but much less traffic and faster roads once off the motorway.
    Westerly Griffon "Calstar", Penarth
    www.scapegoatsanon.blogspot.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123