Default Ardic 041-D heater

Further to a previous thread. I rang Espar (holder of Ardic spares) in Plymouth regarding my non-working Ardic heater basically to run by the techy anything obvious that I could check. His response was that troubleshooting over the phone wouldn't work. If I sent the heater down to them they would almost certainly get it going. He then said it would be best to try and get it repaired unless I wanted the hassle of re-doing the ducting to "90mm" hose. Prior to his conversation I had thought that I would probably get a new Eberspacher but hadn't thought that I'd need new ducting. + the associated costs. Locally, Kruger don't really want to look at the Ardic and obviously would like to sell me a new heater. Any thoughts especiialy from any other Ardic heater users ?

Default Re: Ardic 041-D heater

I have experience of using Espar on an Eber and found them efficient, honest and reliable.

I will say no more.

I am Solent based.

I took the system out, sent it to Espar and the job was effective and reliable!

Tony.

Butler Technik do a variety of adaptors to connect different sized air ducting, so don't see that as a problem.

I sent my ardic to espar soon after I bought my boat. I knew nothing about diesel heaters and it would run, but then shut down. Espar cleaned it up, tested it out, could find nothing wrong, then sent it back and charged me a fair price. I now realise the problem was probably a flame sensor blocked by carbon deposits which would have been fixed by cleaning. I've had useful advice from them since and on that basis and would have no hesitation in dealing with them again.

You'll find that both the D4 and equivalent sized webasto require bigger ducting than the ardic. If the ducting splits to send air to different parts of the boat you might not have to change all of it so long as you have the equivalent of a 90mm passage out.

I could be wrong but iirc you can get away with a D2 with the existing ducting but they are nominally rated at a lower power than the 041-D.

Despite mostly working, my 041-D isn't the quietest or most fuel efficient and I do have to go out in the cold every so often to clean out the flame sensor. As a liveaboard I was not adverse to spending some cash for something quiet, powerful and reliable with a fancy programmable thermostat.

My ducting snakes under areas which look awkward to get at without deconstruction of the galley area that looks daunting to my bad-at-woodworking eyes. I spoke to Kruger at the boat show last year who said this wouldn't be a problem. However they said that it would require 2 people for (IIRC) a day and a half plus travel time and no they wouldn't allow me to be the second person in place of "the lad". At (again, iirc) 60-odd quid per person per hour that was a little too pricey for me so I've decided to resolve my heating issues by moving further south

Quote Originally Posted by Minchsailor View Post
    Butler Technik do a variety of adaptors to connect different sized air ducting, so don't see that as a problem.
    The problem isn't the connectivity it's avoiding damaging the heater through excess pressure (or something like that...)

Thanks for the advise and info. FYI when power is applied one of the relays just "clicks".

Just an update to this thread. I sent the said item to Espar in Plymouth. They plugged it in.....and of course it worked "no issues found". having told David that I had 13.8v at the plug connection to the heater we have concluded its probably the thermostat switch that is u/s which I can apparently bypass for testing on the bateau. I'll advise when I've done this. At least I know it does in fact work ! (oh and the model is in fact a 042-D, sorry)

They sound like a decent bunch. I'll arrange to pop in when next I'm nearby, and have a look at the things.