Default Portable ice maker

Saw a boat using one in Croatia this year looking to buy one as Christmas present for other half but quite confused as which one to buy any forms or against or experience using them on a yacht

Default Re: Portable ice maker

We had one on our boat. Was great in N.Wales. Took about 1/2 hour to make ice. But..... in the Caribbean it has not so good and we rarely used it. The reason was the ambient temperature was much higher so took 2 hours to make ice. Pretty useless if you wanted it for unexpected guests at a sundowner!

The portable ones all work on a similar principle as far as I'm aware, look for one with a good review on somewhere like Amazon...we treated ourselves to one this summer whilst berthed in Almerimar Spain, ...it was hot....Very Hot !! and this machine was a godsend....nothing better than large G & T with a good helping of ice cubes in +40c heat... we can also run it off our inverter when required, and if you recycle the ice back in to the water reservoir for the first couple of cycles you will get bigger cubes ..

We had one on our charter cat in Croatia. You have to be on shore power or have a generator, of course, but we were in the marina at first so I plugged it in.

I'd never used one before so after 90 minutes or so when nothing was happening I thought I'd done something wrong ..... but then it suddenly started making ice and once it starts it really churns it out by the bucketful. Brilliant.

We put that first load in the freezer and I think that lasted us for the entire two weeks of the cruise as we never went into another marina.

I think it was Igloo although it was a few years ago.

Richard
    Last edited by RichardS; 02-11-17 at 21:36.

We have one in our boat in Croatia that I brought out in my suitcase with other boat stuff. It starts making ice in 15 minutes and gets quicker as the water cools from ice above. We use it mostly on mains but when our fridge compressor broke we used it to keep the fridge cool for a very hot and calm week when under motor which was most of the time.

It's the Andrew James compact
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-Jame.../dp/B002ALJAVM

Quote Originally Posted by Garry & June 'Friendship' View Post
    ....nothing better than large G & T with a good helping of ice cubes in +40c heat...
    Before charter/flotilla yachts had fridges I actually tried taking an audio cassette (those were catered for!) of the sound of ice clinking in a jug; it wasn't the same...

Mike.

Anyone that has read our blog or knows us will know that of course Maria has an ice maker on board. We wanted a front loader and this was the smallest I could find.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ProfiCook-P...+machine+small

It works brilliantly with ice within fifteen minutes.

Clearly from my perspective, this is additional redundancy should the refrigeration compressor fail....
    Two people, two cats, one dream
    http://www.Mariadz.com/