Default New trailer! £50!!

I was fortunate enough to mention to a mate that I wanted a trailer, and was thinking through various options. Said mate, "I know of one in a field".
    I went and had a quick look at this quite tatty looking bit of metal, grown through with 'field stuff', and thought it's all price dependent; the frame looked OK, the wheels seemed OK but...... I contacted the owner, it'd been used for a Contessa 26, my boat's a Folkboat so it fits, The owner said that it was free to me, but I'd to pay the guy who owned the field £50, and give my mate who told me of it a bottle of Malt. This is good, of course I resented buying my mate a good Whisky, but, hey ho!
    I took the tow hitch off of it, and got that functioning enough, the wheels and bearings were fine, and the tyres 'new'. the brakes don't work well, and will require a full service.
    This was mid-summer, and today I put the boat on it, and trailed it home without an issue, despite fearing a trauma throughout.
    I'm happy with this, as for me I've quite a lot of work to do this winter, so saving any type of trip, to the club where it was last year was only a 10 minute walk, and Inverness Marina where I've had her for a fortnight is 30 minutes away, so having the boat looming over me at home, giving me guilt for not getting on with it, will be good news for productivity.
    It was a good bottle of Malt as well!
    Folkboat 'Stakkr' - Inverness - http://islandrov.wix.com/island-rov-web

Default Re: New trailer! £50!!

That was a good find!
    Out of curiosity, what is the all up weight and what do you tow it with?

All up's in the region of 2500kgs, and she's towed with an Isuzu Rodeo, that a mate's asked me to look after, whilst he's on a foreign posting. It towed well enough on the 14 miles trip back, but didn't seem to have as much 'grunt' as I'd really want.

Humm, I dragged an Atalanta back from St Tropez to Poole with an Austin Champ, not short of grunt, but a touch thirsty, about 9mpg on petrol....

Nothing like having the boat a few steps away to get things done. As you say, it's the guilt wot does it!
    Last edited by DownWest; 10-11-17 at 17:17.

Austin Champ! Blimey, I had one of those 35 years ago! 4 litre Rolls Royce engine, fully water proofed IIRC! 9 mpg, you did well!

I just checked, it was 48 yrs ago in '69.... Wow how time flies!

BTW, The 4lt RR engine was a bit of a myth. Seems they mostly had smaller engines. I payed £45 quid for it out of a farmers field. Bit of a polish and some second hand tyres and it was a good'un. Sold it after the trip for £95.

Mine certainly had the RR badge on it!! i was SO proud of it, and was able (at the time) to say that I'd a Rolls Royce! My wife wasn't able to stop herself saying that "We were going to save up, and get a roof for it".
    1982. Unbelievably complicated to drive around I remember; how'd they expect a squaddie to cope!

You lucky blighter. A trailer like that is about £1500 on Ebay at the moment. Guess how I know!
    I'm still backing Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie N View Post
    1982. Unbelievably complicated to drive around I remember; how'd they expect a squaddie to cope!
    Not sure about that.. Apart from the forward and reverse gear that gave you the same in reverse as forward... I managed 40mph backwards before I chickened out.. Forward, it would do 95 with the screen down.
    The hand throttle was useful, we could change drivers on the move. We had a 2 hr system between four. If the time occured on the move, we just set the throttle and all moved around one place.. I Am NOT suggesting this is a good idea but at 21, one is invunerable. I sailed it from the north of Sardinia after a sinking, to S T, talk about innocents abroad, used an atlas and a compass and managed to hit the bit I wanted after 5 days of DR. The Med was kind to us.

Sounds terrific, and a fantastically irresponsible/happy time!