Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Best priced marinas for a week between salcombe and the Solent?

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Seriously, though, many congratulations on another remarkable trip, and all the very best for the rest of it. I hope to head south myself sometime, to the land of designer sunglasses, espadrilles, obscenely expensive marinas and sun (I've looked it up in a dictionary) so I expect I'll be asking your advice in due course.
    You forgot to mention the land of zillion horse power Sunseekers who shoot past your stern and send vibrations up through your seaboots.

I was at Portland marina last week and Paul (the manager) was saying he's pretty full over winter so if that's tour plan might be best to give them a call. Weymouth marina looks quite full as well as they both do winter deals for those coming off a swinging mooring who don't want to go ashore. The harbour looked like it had plenty of room and I've never hear of problems there.

Weymouth marina is the better sheltered of all of them and if security is you concern probably the most secure. If you just going in and out once the bridge isn't really a problem and if you want an early start you could always leave the night before and stay in the harbour.

Don't forget you need to give the harbormaster at least 1 hour's notice if you want a bridge lift at they're at 2 hour intervals from 8am to 6pm in winter.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    You're just determined to make the rest of us look bad, aren't you? Beastly rotter.

Seriously, though, many congratulations on another remarkable trip, and all the very best for the rest of it. I hope to head south myself sometime, to the land of designer sunglasses, espadrilles, obscenely expensive marinas and sun (I've looked it up in a dictionary) so I expect I'll be asking your advice in due course.
    Well I haven't actually made it yet, hold your horses winds died down today and was tempted, but decided to leave on the back of them, tomorrow eve, so it basically will only get better. Starting in f6 northerlies and gradually calming down through the night, with the seas coming down a bit too, so I get the best conditions for lands end. It will probably be a pussycat after fairhead, mull of kintyre, ardnamurchan and various other trouble spots, but for some reason it looms very large in my head and makes me nervous. I just think of the swells rolling in across the Atlantic from whTever winter storms and reaching land for the first time in several thousand miles! Eek.

I'm not so bothered about the lizard and Portland bill later, or the needles etc, all of which are probably actually more problematic, but the idea of lands end in winter scares the shit out of me

After all the advice about the inside passage, I reckon I will bottle it and go outside longships anyway, there will be a 2m swell running still even tho it's a nice day.

Not too bothered about security, it's a scruffy old looking boat, prob the last thing any toerags would look at with all the shiny awb's around!

Most of the Solent marinas are on winter rates now. Cowes, Yarmouth, Gosport, etc. You may also find that places like Weymouth and MDL Torquay might have likewise. Haslar is I think about £200 for a month.

Take a look at their websites.

Usually South Coast but now West Coast of Scotland

Coming around Land's End is not something I like at the best of times but in November I would give it a miss. The problem for me is the fact that once you start you have to finish as there are no good places to shelter and the tides....We once missed the tide and spent six hours going as fast as we could and getting nowhere in a large evil looking swell.

Hello Steve,

Good luck with it, its certainly a v impressive place. I will probably be out and about myself on Tue/Wed, but going the other way - Fowey to Falmouth/Helford.

Fair Winds
    P

If you happen to find yourself near Exmouth I have a deep water mooring suitable for a 44 footer that you can use. PM me for details if interested. It will cost you nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by steve yates View Post
    Not too bothered about security, it's a scruffy old looking boat, prob the last thing any toerags would look at with all the shiny awb's around!
    My security policy is "Always park next to a boat that looks as if it will have nicer stuff on board."
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by longjohnsilver View Post
    If you happen to find yourself near Exmouth I have a deep water mooring suitable for a 44 footer that you can use. PM me for details if interested. It will cost you nothing.
    Likewise, if you only get as far as Plymouth Ive got a deepwater mooring that's free at the moment. Its a trot mooring up near the Tamar bridge and an easy walk up to the Saltash Station or a Taxi ride into Plymouth for a few £. pm me if you need it.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell (which is slightly odd for a philosopher who was so sure of his atheism...)

Thanks folks, will be in touch if I think I'll be anywhere near you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123