Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Sheepskins on board ?

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    You could build yourself a pen on the fordeck, just like the Ancient Mariners in Classic Boats, and keep several of your walking sheepskins fresh and almost ready for use. No need to get an old one to the dry cleaners; you could use the offcuts as 'baggywrinkle' and the dried sheeps droppings as fuel for your stove.....
    A Harlech harem
    Iceni barbari sunt

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    There are far more efficient man made materials.
    Indeed. I have a couple of fake sheepskins that are great for keeping me warm and which dry quickly to boot.

I read somewhere that sheeps' wool is exothermic.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...hermic&f=false
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kelpie View Post
    OP was talking about skins, rather than fleeces.
    Fleeces aren't worth the cost of shearing (less than 1/fleece) but skins can be worth a lot of money- unfortunately you only get one per sheep!
    Fleece, good ones at least, are at their highest prices for decades. The cost of your marino wool garments may rise once the costs filter through.

I vaguely recall Antartex used to advertise, in the 70's, their being suppliers to the British Antarctic Survey

On the Brendan Voyage, they reconned that the natural fibres, esp oiled wool, were better than the artificial, if one was constantly wet. Still, that was a while back and fibres have come on a bit.
    Friend of mine flew his biplane from UK to Oz and had a choice of carrying a life raft or a sheepskin jacket & trews. Opted for the warm clothing as more useful.. Used his own sheep too.

Quote Originally Posted by Neeves View Post
    Fleece, good ones at least, are at their highest prices for decades. The cost of your marino wool garments may rise once the costs filter through.

I vaguely recall Antartex used to advertise, in the 70's, their being suppliers to the British Antarctic Survey
    Before my time, I'm afraid! The gear I knew was mostly artificial, except for some woolen socks. They MAY have been in use underneath sleeping bags, but I'm not sure; I never spent time camping beyond a mandatory one-night training session.

Quote Originally Posted by Neeves View Post

Depends on what breed of sheep you're talking about.
    Up here it's all blackface and cheviot, and the wool is carpet grade rather than the lively soft fine stuff you get from a merino.
    Deb 33- Wayfarer- Wanderer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12