Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Solo trip to the Azores - YouTube

Just finished watching an enjoyable short series by a chap called Patrick Laine on his solo trip to the Azores and back on a Bavaria 40.

Worth a view to see an ordinary sailor tackling the journey just for the enjoyment of sailing. I liked how calm he was when he lost his engine in a gale close to Horta in episode 12. Simply stood off for 30 hours and then sailed to the harbour entrance.

Apologies if already posted.

Default Re: Solo trip to the Azores - YouTube

Agree! I liked his videos because they actually dealt with sailing and his thoughts on whatever he was experiencing on his passage. No bikini click bait, no (semi-) professional video editing, no "please support me on patreon". Not that I once in a while enjoy watching these channels as well, but Patrick's videos seem to address more the sailor than the dreamer.

Usually South Coast but now West Coast of Scotland

I liked his videos although it was clear he had not learned much about sailing.
    In one of the videos he demonstrates how he comes alongside singlehanded in his boat. Absolutely crazy....and could easily go badly wrong. Not something to video as a 'how to'.
    I said he should find some professional instruction or I could give him some tips but he was unimpressed with my comments!
    I can understand why his neighbour in the marina has lots of fenders permanently rigged.

Quote Originally Posted by mainsail1 View Post
    In one of the videos he demonstrates how he comes alongside singlehanded in his boat. Absolutely crazy....and could easily go badly wrong. Not something to video as a 'how to'.
    True... I was wondering how he comes alongside in a guest berth with no fender permanently rigged to the pontoon.

Yet I liked the way of his videos sharing his thoughts.

I remembered a thread on here about French sailors docking by motoring against the end of the pontoon, must be common there! That said, I liked the way he goes about things, bit like me, not always perfect but keen to improve!

I think I have seen these videos and enjoyed them.

The docking bit seems fine to me, esp for boats with a plumb ish stem. I have seen it done quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by mainsail1 View Post
    I liked his videos although it was clear he had not learned much about sailing.
    I said he should find some professional instruction or I could give him some tips but he was unimpressed with my comments!
    I can understand why his neighbour in the marina has lots of fenders permanently rigged.
    So how would you do it, given the situation he portrays, i.e., being blown off a short finger pontoon? Seems there wasn't an opportunity to get a spring on to motor against.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ_01 View Post
    True... I was wondering how he comes alongside in a guest berth with no fender permanently rigged to the pontoon.
    Big spongy wrap around bow fender? You see them for sale.

I have seen a Gosport boatyard misjudge a launch powered return of a yacht to a finger pontoon. The yacht rammed the marina jetty at speed and the jetty had a surprising amount of give as its floating portion scooted sideways.

Watched most of them. TBH , he came a cross as a bit annoyed by it all..

Usually South Coast but now West Coast of Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by newtothis View Post
    So how would you do it, given the situation he portrays, i.e., being blown off a short finger pontoon? Seems there wasn't an opportunity to get a spring on to motor against.
    The secret is in his centre cleat and the fairlead. Unfortunately, to fully explain would be too much to do here as a short answer would lead to all kinds of 'yes buts'.
    It really needs a two day course to cover the basics that are essential each time and then add the nuances of particular circumstances. IMHO his video shows that he has not understood some of the 'basics'.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast