Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Solo trip to the Azores - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post
    I think I have seen these videos and enjoyed them.

The docking bit seems fine to me, esp for boats with a plumb ish stem. I have seen it done quite a bit.
    +1. As a normally solo day sailor with an imperfect hip replacement and other age related aches and pains, i almost always use this method. Unless the wind is being unusually kind of course. A dock fender on the berth and a stem fender on the boat prevents any damage. With twin rudders and one prop there's no prop wash to help either so there's not much time to get a line ashore for me. I agree, not the best method but if it works and keeps me on the water then so be it. I do have plenty of fenders though.

Hello AJ,

Yes, just finished looking at them - enjoyed them immensely. The first thing I noticed was how crisp the video was- a lot better than much of the amateur stuff I've seen on Youtube. He also dealt with many of the sailing issues as they arose.
    Honest and informative.

Fair Winds
    P

I seem to be in a minority of one I found the videos tedious and his seamanship a little overly cautious and strange at times. Confused about his nationality I would have guessed at American, I don't think he's french and neither does my wife he has absolutely no accent. I also found the order of the videos confusing and in fact couldn't find No 1 not for me I am afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by corbu View Post
    Just finished watching an enjoyable short series by a chap called Patrick Laine on his solo trip to the Azores and back on a Bavaria 40.

Worth a view to see an ordinary sailor tackling the journey just for the enjoyment of sailing. I liked how calm he was when he lost his engine in a gale close to Horta in episode 12. Simply stood off for 30 hours and then sailed to the harbour entrance.

Apologies if already posted.
    Thanks for the tip Corbu, I shall watch with interest.
    “Nothing is more dangerous than an idea when it’s the only one you have.”
    (French philosopher Emile Chartier)

http://Yacht.silverfox.googlepages.com

Quote Originally Posted by petehb View Post
    I seem to be in a minority of one I found the videos tedious and his seamanship a little overly cautious and strange at times. Confused about his nationality I would have guessed at American, I don't think he's french and neither does my wife he has absolutely no accent. I also found the order of the videos confusing and in fact couldn't find No 1 not for me I am afraid.
    We both felt the same about the videos, although only skip-watched much of it. Bit too much of one guy sitting in one spot and talking for a very long time about pretty banal stuff, like how his AIS works and how he pulled in that reef and then this and then shook it out again. Then managed to run aground in port because he listened to marina staff rather than his depth sounder and own good sense. Also for most of the first (well, 2nd) episode something heavy was noisily falling left to right and back somewhere in the boat the entire time and he just ignored it.

Episode 1 apparently had too much wind noise so he's deleted it (he explained in response to a commenter asking the same question). No idea why they're not uploaded in chronological order, but easy enough to sort in a playlist.

Still interesting to see some of it, as we've been to some of the same ports (although anchored where possible) and our boat has shared ancestry.

Quote Originally Posted by mainsail1 View Post
    I liked his videos although it was clear he had not learned much about sailing.
    In one of the videos he demonstrates how he comes alongside singlehanded in his boat. Absolutely crazy....and could easily go badly wrong. Not something to video as a 'how to'.
    I said he should find some professional instruction or I could give him some tips but he was unimpressed with my comments!
    I can understand why his neighbour in the marina has lots of fenders permanently rigged.
    Well, I have just sailed 450 miles up the French coast and am currently in Cherbourg. As soon as I catch my breath, I'm across the channel, so put out lots of extra fenders, and lock up your wives and daughters. :-)

Good on you Patrick, make sure to visit Mylor Harbour.

"Well, I have just sailed 450 miles up the French coast and am currently in Cherbourg. As soon as I catch my breath, I'm across the channel, so put out lots of extra fenders, and lock up your wives and daughters. :-)"

Welcome Patrick, I hope you are filming your exploits.

Like your style, do keep it. There are plenty of bath tub sailors who need fodder for tut tutting.

Another single hander to the Azores:

http://www.channelpilot.info/azores.php

Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Laine View Post
    Well, I have just sailed 450 miles up the French coast and am currently in Cherbourg. As soon as I catch my breath, I'm across the channel, so put out lots of extra fenders, and lock up your wives and daughters. :-)
    I'm not a sailor I'm a motor boater I think your videos were great I have subscribed to your channel although I am disappointed that you haven't posted any for some time ������ must be different moving at 5 knots rather that 500 knots as you did in your previous profession

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast