Thread: Bow rollers

Default Bow rollers

Im thinking of changing the bow roller set up i have in order to make the roller further out from the bow . Reason for doing this is to minimize the risk my 5 kg Bruce anchor makes contact with hull while retrieving anchor. The current bow roller ( sorry couldnt upload photos lately. Upload failed) is 20 cm long with only very few cm that hangs out from bow ( 5 cm ) making retrieval manually dangerous as soon as the anchor heads out from the sea. Easily the anchor makes contact with hull resulting in damage. I couldnt imagine retrieving the anchor without the bow roller because roller makes it easier, but was wandering that if the roller hangs further out ( than the 5 cm i have now )from the bow, the risk Bruce anchor making contact with hull should minimize.
    My questions:
    1: Am i right in having this idea or?
    2: Due to leverage issue how much should the bow roller could stand furthest from the bow?
    3: Currently overall my bow roller has 20 cm length overall ( 15cm in bow 5 cm hanging out ), Should i go for the 30 cm one or the 40 cm one? Prefer the 40 cm one because roller will extend further out from bow but not sure if it makes sense. Will anchor and moor sometimes in strong winds so bow roller should be strong and up to standard.

Appreciate your kind help and views. Looking forward for a solution for this matter.
    Last edited by Karnic; 11-11-17 at 19:38.

Default Re: Bow rollers

If you do extend the bow roller make sure it has a good amount of meat in the construction, seen many of these hairy fairy "rollers" bend and then be rendered useless. What boat are talking about?

I fitted a new roller as I changed to a 30kg Bruce

https://windline.com/index.php?route...&product_id=80

The link is for a smaller one.

Very heavy construction and locks a Bruce shape anchor in when under tension (I have a windlass) whilst keeping it well away from the hull.

I found one from a fellow formite as luck would have it

Quote Originally Posted by omega2 View Post
    If you do extend the bow roller make sure it has a good amount of meat in the construction, seen many of these hairy fairy "rollers" bend and then be rendered useless. What boat are talking about?
    Yes you are right. My boat is 19 ft open. Anchor manually and store in a locker. My only concern is when dragging anchor up i use the existing roller which i find very comfortable but as it is only 5 cm hanging out from bow there is risk i damage hull during retrieval. I think making the roller further out from bow will minimize risk. But to what extent would be ok? for example 10 / 20 / 30 cm from bow?

yes something of that kind i need. My problem though is how far ( max or Min ) should the bow roller tip be away from tip of boat bow? enough to minimise the risk that when dragging anchor up will minimize risk of making contact with hull.

Why not use the "alderney" ring method? that way the anchor and chain can be recovered to the cockpit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7v8uiDWFnE
    Last edited by omega2; 12-11-17 at 09:04.

Yes saw the video. Bit complicated and when anchored in crowded areas becomes a problem. Thanks the same for the idea. Appreciate .

some thing this type, maby...For the moved anchor farther your grp bow

Exaples
    http://www.batsystem.se/content/uplo...230rsmpa75.jpg

http://www.batsystem.se/en/products/mp75/ + anchor roll under or top side.

You can look more båtsystem web side

NBs