Default Sharks and Little Fish

fairly direct (some gruesome descriptions) WW2 German minesweeper then submarine crew memoir. slghtly stilted English in bits due to the translation but an interesting read

Default Re: Sharks and Little Fish

Quote Originally Posted by bikedaft View Post
    fairly direct (some gruesome descriptions) WW2 German minesweeper then submarine crew memoir. slghtly stilted English in bits due to the translation but an interesting read
    Thanks. 'Red Star under the Baltic', by a Russian WW2 u-boat sailor, is a very good one, I'm sure you know Das Boot the paperback is good as well as the film.
    Maurice Grifriths, the yacht designer, was in mine clearance and research during the war, and his autobiog is fascinating, the name escapes me.
    Iceni barbari sunt

Quote Originally Posted by Prasutigus View Post
    Thanks. 'Red Star under the Baltic', by a Russian WW2 u-boat sailor, is a very good one, I'm sure you know Das Boot the paperback is good as well as the film.
    Maurice Grifriths, the yacht designer, was in mine clearance and research during the war, and his autobiog is fascinating, the name escapes me.
    "The Hidden Menace" - it is good - thanks

i have ordered the Red Star Under The Baltic, again, thanks

if you have not already read it, Iron Coffins is very interesting - German WW2 sub skipper - what was interesting was how much time they spent surviving the weather, although latterly Allied attacks were a big issue too...

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Quote Originally Posted by bikedaft View Post
    "The Hidden Menace" - it is good - thanks

i have ordered the Red Star Under The Baltic, again, thanks

if you have not already read it, Iron Coffins is very interesting - German WW2 sub skipper - what was interesting was how much time they spent surviving the weather, although latterly Allied attacks were a big issue too...
    I looked up Iron Coffins and found this http://www.subsim.com/radioroom//arc.../t-167387.html Interesting indeed and some further recommendations down the thread.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    I looked up Iron Coffins and found this http://www.subsim.com/radioroom//arc.../t-167387.html Interesting indeed and some further recommendations down the thread.
    yip, cheers (ordered another couple of books!)

i think that the criticism of Werner is a bit harsh - he was not the only one to over estimate tonnage sunk(!) the book is a bit novel like. but good, and gets across (for me anyway) the waste of it all/fighting the weather, as well as the Allies